× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: JGS524EV2 issues

jziggy101
Aspirant

JGS524EV2 issues

I have a small network the starts with a Netgear 6700 router to provide internet connectivity to the network.  The router is connected directly to the JGS524EV2 managed switch and provides ip addresses to the network.

I have 2 Readynas connected to the JGS524EV2 switch and several other computers plugged into the switch. Each NAS is running 2 gigabit ports into the switch.

I have only had this switch a short time and have not configured any VLans yet.

The problem I am having is my one primary pc running Win10 has 2 gigabit ethernet controllers connected to the JGS524EV2 switch.  If a Win10 update comes in and requires a reboot when the pc comes back up the PC cannot find network or the internet.  Whats worse is that sometimes the router will lockup both ethernet & wifi connections.  

If I reboot the JGS524EV2 switch the PC and the router return to normal operation.

Not sure where to go with this issue.

Model: JGS524Ev2|ProSafe Plus 24 ports gigabits switch
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@jziggy101,

Since the JGS524Ev2 only supports static LAG, it is recommended that you select XOR for the teaming mode. As reference, kindly access and read the article below: 

ReadyNAS - What Bonding/Teaming Mode Should I Use?

If ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Should any current config lead to a network loop, issues with the router including the WLAN are predictable.

How are the switch port pairs for the NAS connections (and the NAS configured)?

How are the two ports configured which are used for the Windows 10 connections? Note: Windows 10 does not support any kind of LAG/link aggregation/bonding on it's own. 

Suggestion: Start with a proper configuration of the LAG between the NAS and the switch first. Use static LAG on the switch (most Smart Managed Plus switches don't support dynamic IEEE 802.3ad LACP),  Only TLB (transit lod balance), ALB (active load balance), or active-backup on the NAS would not require any switch LAG configuration. Balance-rr, balance-xor, or broadcast does require a static LAG config on the switch. 

Message 2 of 4
jziggy101
Aspirant

Thanks for the response and I apologize for not getting back any sooner but I was travelling.

You say the JGS524Ev2 only support static IEEE 802.3ad LACP.  If I setup the two Readynas (RN104s)  for their ports bonded together what would be the correct MODE for the readynas bonded ports?  Round-Robin,  IEEE 802.3ad LACP, etc to get the best throughput?

Message 3 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@jziggy101,

Since the JGS524Ev2 only supports static LAG, it is recommended that you select XOR for the teaming mode. As reference, kindly access and read the article below: 

ReadyNAS - What Bonding/Teaming Mode Should I Use?

If ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements