× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: JGS524ev2 Loses mgmt ip on reboot

ifican
Aspirant

JGS524ev2 Loses mgmt ip on reboot

Morning all, have the above switch that simply will not retain its mgmt ip during a reboot. I forgot it was having this issue until i updated the firmware this past weekend. Other then losing its mgmt ip it functions properly. The odd thing is resetting it back to factory most of the time will get it to "find" its mgmt ip but does effectively kill the rest of my configuration. When it refuses to speak to the network (before factory reset) nothing works. The default ip 192.168.0.239 is also unresponsive. However as stated usually holding the reset buttong down (3-5) seconds doesnt always fix it the first time but usually does the second or third. Though as stated it lose all config and that takes more time to fix than i care to usually deal with. Hoping someone has some insight into what issue may be.

Model: JGS524Ev2|ProSafe Plus 24 ports gigabits switch
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Your JGS524Ev2 has a config for the managment VLAN?

Again, if you have multiple VLANs and there are DHCP servers the JGS524Ev2 can pick up IP addresses on any VLAN...

No Windows or MacOS system at hand to try the Netgear switch discovery utility? It might be informative for you.

Alternate, check the DHCP server(s) log for assigned IP addresses and the switch MAC.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Have configured multiple VLANs where more then one has a DCHP server active?

Is the NETGEAR Switch Discovery Tool able to discover the switch if aparently unreachable on the VLAN you try to connect it? If yes: What IP address does it show?

Message 2 of 8
ifican
Aspirant

The switch cannot be reached in this state. The configured mgmt via statically assinged dhcp is 192.168.5.173. My suspicion is the dhcp engine doesnt start or has other fatal error on reboot. When in this state the configured ip or the default 192.168.0.239 is inaccessable even directly connected to the switch. All other traffic passes correctly even currently configured vlans.

Message 3 of 8
schumaku
Guru

So multiple VLANs and not answered any of my questions. The point here is that these Smart Managed Plus switches (except e.g. the XSxxxEM) can't have a management VLAN configured and the switch is able to (and will!) pick up a DHCP address on any VLAN ....

Message 4 of 8
ifican
Aspirant

Not sure how the device is not accessible when in this stated doesnt answer your question. If you need the black and white, correct, the discovery tool does not work. The mgmt vlan is on the default vlan one, there are no other mgmt ip's on the device. I use multiple vlans other than 1 but they are all passthrough only. DHCP itself for all internal vlans is all being served by dhcp server. All passthrough dhcp functions conrrectly during this time, only dhcp from the switch istelf appears broken.

Message 5 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Your JGS524Ev2 has a config for the managment VLAN?

Again, if you have multiple VLANs and there are DHCP servers the JGS524Ev2 can pick up IP addresses on any VLAN...

No Windows or MacOS system at hand to try the Netgear switch discovery utility? It might be informative for you.

Alternate, check the DHCP server(s) log for assigned IP addresses and the switch MAC.

Message 6 of 8
ifican
Aspirant

Though this doesnt explain the previous behavior it was the current issue. I have since shutoff dhcp and it consistently reboots and has no issues. Thanks for the followup. I have marked the solution.

Message 7 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Ok, so a static IP assigned now instead of DHCP - that's about the only solution, indeed. Sorry, missed to mention this opiton.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements