× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Java, Device View and Netgear GS110TP

Vimes
Star

Java, Device View and Netgear GS110TP

Hi

Having the device view working (better with IE than FF) with th version 7 Java I am now having issues since it updated to version 8 build 31.

all that I get is the small spinning Java icon noted above and then a blank screen.

Usual security exceptions etc have been applied without success.

Is this something the Netgear needs to address, the support person that I spoke to suggested they would need a firmware update to resolve it....?

Thanks
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
chri6020
Aspirant

I got a similar issue (http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=96318). At least it works with Java 7 Update 80 now. The trick, in my case, was to use the IP of the switch and not the DNS name.

Also Netgear support told me that the Applet is supposed to work at least up to 7 Update 71.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 14

All Replies
RX
Luminary
Luminary

🙂 Hope this helps as a workaround:

1. Open Java Control Panel on your PC then click on Security tab.
2. Click on "Edit Site List" button.
3. Add "https://IP_Address_of_the_GS110TP then click Ok.
4. Click Apply.

If ever the above steps won't work then I guess Netgear should really give attention to this.
Message 2 of 14
Vimes
Star

Thanks for that but yes that is done....

gif uploader' />

I do think that the fix needs to be addressed by Netgear
Message 3 of 14
adit
Mentor

Java issue. It's why Java is dying and things like HTML5 are striving. The applet was written in an old version of Java. The security of the latest versions of Java break these old applets. I see this all the time with legacy apps. Netgear would need to rewrite the firmware for the device to use the latest Java or not use Java at all. Old equipment probably won't get updated.
Message 4 of 14
Vimes
Star

I understand that, although this analogy has flaws, I remember when Mr Jobs proclaimed the demise of Flash. Well several years on and it still causes issues with tablets (Android and Apple) when flash content sites still demand full support or they fail to function.

Ensuring that Netgear is aware of the issue, which I'm told that they already are, at least brings it to their attention and maybe it will be addressed. As you note whether that will filter down to "legacy" products is another matter.

I had hoped that there might be a work around found by someone else which doesn't involve using older versions of Java.
Message 5 of 14
Vimes
Star

Just to add....

Removing Java 8 and then finding an older version of 7.....

gif uploader

.....whilst there are security implications with running older versions, and they are stopping any further updates to the 7 edition shortly, at least it shows that it works.

Netgear I need a fix.!
Message 6 of 14
luda
Initiate

adit wrote:
Java issue. It's why Java is dying and things like HTML5 are striving.

The applet was written in an old version of Java. The security of the latest versions of Java break these old applets. I see this all the time with legacy apps.

Netgear would need to rewrite the firmware for the device to use the latest Java or not use Java at all. Old equipment probably won't get updated.

Same Problems with GS752TS, GS728TPS and M4100 -Switches !

--> Please rewrite in HTML5, no reason to risk java-security-problems for this "device-view" and popup features. <--
Message 7 of 14
BlueFlame
Tutor

Same for GS724Tv4.
Message 8 of 14
BlueFlame
Tutor

BlueFlame wrote:
Same for GS724Tv4.

Just wanted to add the log file entries for NetGear support.
Log file entries are:
<14> Mar 29 11:18:42 192.168.250.2-1 General[49495940]: web_java_socket.c(5103) 1331 %% Invalid recv datalength.
<14> Mar 29 11:18:42 192.168.250.2-1 General[49495940]: web_java_socket.c(5103) 1330 %% Invalid recv datalength.
Message 9 of 14
kic883
Aspirant

:mad: any update from Netgear ?
Message 10 of 14
Vimes
Star

Doesn't seem promising for a working resolve whilst using the latest version of Java.
Message 11 of 14
evb
Guide
Guide

Same problem for the GS724Tv3.

Netgear support, please rewrite this device view in html5!
Message 12 of 14
FrankVID
Aspirant

Well... we came from a switch that was no longer manageable because the interface used outdated Java. And now we got ourselves in the same situation again. Unfortunately I am under the impression that Netgear won't solve this (quotes like "too old" or "not our professional switch product line" pop up in my head). Hope to be put wrong here.

In the mean time: is there anyone with a (working) device view that is able to see what data source is used? Perhaps we can make our own device view...

F
Message 13 of 14
chri6020
Aspirant

I got a similar issue (http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=96318). At least it works with Java 7 Update 80 now. The trick, in my case, was to use the IP of the switch and not the DNS name.

Also Netgear support told me that the Applet is supposed to work at least up to 7 Update 71.
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements