× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Just bought new GS110TPv2 - Have I made a mistake?

JoeM845
Luminary

Just bought new GS110TPv2 - Have I made a mistake?

Bought a GS110TPv2 to replace GS108PEv2 in a LAN segment with 2 other GS108Ev2s and a GS116Ev2. Parts of the LAN would cut-off infrequently. A power cycle on the GS108PEv2 would restore function. I never saw the loop indicator (both LEDs on a port blinking in unison - 1/2 second on and 1/2 second off). I figured the GS110 might cure the problem - or at least give me some log information to help me chase what is going wrong.

I started installing the GS110TP and am wondering if this is a product reaching the end-of-life. The configuration utility seems to go through a browser for most everything. It requires a JAVA plug-in!. I started IE11 because it is about the only thing that still alllows the plug-in. The configuration said Java was out of date, so I updated to current. Restarted and it still said Java was out of date. Oracle says it is current. Utility does not seem happy with JavaScript. Is Netgear maintaining the support software?

Is there a more current 8-port managed switch with logging?

Software version: 5.4.2.30  Boot version: 85.1.0.2

Smart Control Center 1.1.3.4

Windows 7

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

The GS510TLP and GS510TPP represent the newer generation, built-in power supply, with higher resp. much higher PoE capacity, fanless resp. with a single fan in the Netgear Smart Managed Pro line-up.

Worth mentioning are the GC110P, GC510P, and GC510PP from the Insight Managed Gigabit switch line. These come with a very comprehensive feature set in standalone management mode.

Still, if you like the small enclosure with the external power supply, We might want to challenge Netgear @bradleyv why the Device View is still not adapted to current technology, as browser makers abandoned NPAPI for years (after many more years of announcements) rendering the Device View in Java useless..

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Two things mixed up:

The Netgear Smart Control Center does require Adobe Air, but no Java.

Java on the other hand is still called on some Netgear switches where the older legacy Web UI is in place. The only purpose is the Device View, everything else does run without any need for Java. Since NPAPI is depreciated and no longer available on any modern browser, Java Applets can't run in the browser environment anymore.

Last, for the Smart Managed Plus switches, Netgear has introduced a new Switch Discovery utility, available on Windows and macOS (so >99,9% of the desktops are covered). Unfortunately, there is no similar utility for the Smart Managed Pro switch models.

Conclude, it's not nice that Netgear has still not agreed to update all older With Web UI to remove the Java requirement (at least). There are several complaints in the community on this btw. 

Message 2 of 9
JoeM845
Luminary

Thanks @schumaku,

It's nice to know that Java is not reqjired - that it is only used for a pictorial representation of the GS110TP device.

I have used the Switch Discovery Tool and the ProSAFE Plus Utility. They both work with the GS108's and GS116. The fact that the Discovery Tool dies not work with the GS110TP fuels my concern that I have bought into a dying product line.

I have tried to leave you a kudo, but I cannot get the kudo count to increment. I have tried multiple times. I have been signed in. The button goes from white to purple when I hover over it.  I get some momentary dispay change when I click on it. Kudo count remains at zero.

Message 3 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@JoeM845 wrote:

I have used the Switch Discovery Tool and the ProSAFE Plus Utility. They both work with the GS108's and GS116.

Switch Discovery Tool and the ProSAFE Plus Utility are indeed for the Smart Managed Plus switches only (like the ones 

@JoeM845 wrote:

The fact that the Discovery Tool dies not work with the GS110TP fuels my concern that I have bought into a dying product line. 

The Smart Managed Pro devices can be discovered and managed by the Smart Control Center along with the Web UI. Different model lines - different tools why ever. The GS110TPv2 with it's "old" legacy Web UI is in his later time of the still available for sale the product life cycle.

Message 4 of 9
JoeM845
Luminary

Any suggestions on a managed switch with similar port/bandwidth capacity and PoE output that is earlier in its expected life cycle?

Message 5 of 9
schumaku
Guru

The GS510TLP and GS510TPP represent the newer generation, built-in power supply, with higher resp. much higher PoE capacity, fanless resp. with a single fan in the Netgear Smart Managed Pro line-up.

Worth mentioning are the GC110P, GC510P, and GC510PP from the Insight Managed Gigabit switch line. These come with a very comprehensive feature set in standalone management mode.

Still, if you like the small enclosure with the external power supply, We might want to challenge Netgear @bradleyv why the Device View is still not adapted to current technology, as browser makers abandoned NPAPI for years (after many more years of announcements) rendering the Device View in Java useless..

Message 6 of 9
bradleyv
NETGEAR Expert

All - great discussion going on here.

The single solution for all of this device discovery is to use the Insight Mobile App.

It will discover all NETGEAR Insight Smart Cloud, Smart Pro, and Smart Plus switches.

Further, you can remotely/cloud manage Insight Smart Cloud switches with it.

For Smart Managed Pro and Smart Managed Plus Switches, it will show you the IP address of the devices, let you add them to your MyNetgear account for inventory tracking, warranty entitlement, and quick access to support.

For Unmanaged Switches (with no management interface), you can still scan in the serial number barcode with your phone or type in the serial numbers from your switches and they too will appear in your list of devices for inventory tracking, warranty entitlement, and quick access to support.

While we'd like to be able to remove the need for Java or Adobe Air or Smart Control Center requirements for all of our switches, it's not always possible (based on hardware design/capabilities) to make all prior products work exactly the same as more recent products.

As we continue to release new and updated products, we will move them all off of Java/Adobe Air and aim to make the discovery, management, and support access on all of our products much easier.

The key here is that the Insight Mobile app isn't just for Insight Smart Cloud Switches - you can use it for all your NETGEAR Business products (switches, APs, and NAS).

So, I strongly encourage you, if you haven't yet downloaded and tried using the NETGEAR Insight Mobile app, do so!

Message 7 of 9
bradleyv
NETGEAR Expert

Device View (and the local management GUI) is not the intent of Insight Smart Cloud Switches. They are an alternative/backup way to access some of the most advanced (and lesser used) capabilities of the switches, with the primary access/management being Insight. That said, they still have "Device View" and it doesn't require Java or anything else; it's all done through HTML5.
Message 8 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@bradleyv wrote:
... They are an alternative/backup way to access some of the most advanced (and lesser used) capabilities of the switches, with the primary access/management being Insight. ...

Isn't this simplified to much? An Insight switch is either in Insight Cloud Management mode, or it's in local Web management mode. 

Rumour is that some features/functions can be configured as long as the switch is in Local Web Management mode, and these are retained once the switch is migrated to the Insight Cloud Management mode. 

However, I can't see that this should be done in reality - as there is no more control access, audit becomes impossible, ...

If things would be fully co-operateable, there would have been no reason to limit the Local Web access. Switching between the modes can't be part of the normal administration process, too.  

Can't find any related documentation or KB entries. 

@bradleyv wrote:
Device View (and the local management GUI) is not the intent of Insight Smart Cloud Switches.... That said, they still have "Device View" and it doesn't require Java or anything else; it's all done through HTML5.

The Local Web Management is certainly a fully supported and workable feature.

@bradleyv wrote:
That said, they still have "Device View" and it doesn't require Java or anything else; it's all done through HTML5.

The complaint here is that "older" UI products still maintained, supported, and still available in the market (!) are still requiring NPAPI called Java, and this was not updated in time as part of the maintenance loop. The browser makers announced ceasing from supporting NPAPI years ago - so there was plenty of time before your customers are hitting the wall.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements