× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

LAGG with GS752TP and pfsense

IOTdiot
Tutor

LAGG with GS752TP and pfsense

I'm trying to get LAGG working between my pfsense box and GS752TP but it's not functioning properly.

When I have the settings to what I think are correct, the connection to the router breaks and so does the internet. I cannot ping nor access the pfsense router box.

In my GS752, I have both ports I want as LAG checked off under LAG Membership, and I also have the LAG Configuration set to: Hash mode 4 (freeBSD pfsense), STP enabled, Link trap disabled, and LAG type is LACP.

I also have correct settings in pfsense as per their tutorial and all are of the same interface (LAG ports are em0 and em1 on a dual NIC) and the LAG in pfsense is set to LACP

Ideas?

Model: GS752TPv2|48-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE+ Smart Managed Pro Switch with 4 SFP Ports (380W)
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
IOTdiot
Tutor

Re: LAGG with GS752TP and pfsense

Issue resolved. It was a VLAN assignment issue.

There is a visual selector called TRUNK below the PORTS area in the VLAN settings.

Individual port trunks must be removed as members from the VLAN settings which are to be used as LAGG trunk members. And then add the LAGG group number to the specified VLAN's back as appropriate trunk member(s). Also the LAGG itself must be an untagged member of the base (1) VLAN, as well as the indivudual ports (but they cannot be trunks).

As a side note, my old pfsense traffic shaper settings were causing internet issues and bugs within pfsense after the proper LAGG config was set. THe traffic shaper settings had to be removed.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @IOTdiot,

Is the GS752TP switch you have a v1 or v2 (v = version)?  If you do not know how to determine it, what is the current firmware version of your GS752TP switch? 

Not sure if this will help.  Let me share this forum thread below.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Managed-Switches/pfsense-lag/td-p/1282109

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 6
IOTdiot
Tutor

@DaneA It is a GS752TPv2, and the firmware is the latest 6.0.0.45

I saw that thread already and used it as a guide, but it is still not working.

Message 3 of 6
IOTdiot
Tutor

@DaneA doing more research, back in a posting in 2016 you mentioned that LAG does not work on the SFP ports on the GS752TP.

Is this still true? Even in the v2 model where I can select ports 49-52 in the LAG ports menu as 'checked members'?

Message 4 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@IOTdiot,

My bad Smiley Sad  That forum thread should have been corrected way back (shrinking at my seat right now).  LAG should work on SFP ports of both GS752TPv1 and GS752TPv2.  

I inquired your concern to the higher tier of NETGEAR Support and got a feedback.  As per the higher tier of NETGEAR Support, try using Hash Mode 6 again then get the tech support file from the GS752TPv2 switch if it still does not work.  Afterwards you got the tech support file, kindly open a chat or online support ticket with NETGEAR Support then attach the tech support file for it to be analyzed by the engineering team.

Also, please indicate the model of the SFP module being used. Check on errors or logs on the pfSense side as well to show why it does not work. 

Kindly refer to the article below on how to get the tech support file on the GS752TPv2 switch:

How do I send diagnostic files from my Smart Switch?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 6
IOTdiot
Tutor

Issue resolved. It was a VLAN assignment issue.

There is a visual selector called TRUNK below the PORTS area in the VLAN settings.

Individual port trunks must be removed as members from the VLAN settings which are to be used as LAGG trunk members. And then add the LAGG group number to the specified VLAN's back as appropriate trunk member(s). Also the LAGG itself must be an untagged member of the base (1) VLAN, as well as the indivudual ports (but they cannot be trunks).

As a side note, my old pfsense traffic shaper settings were causing internet issues and bugs within pfsense after the proper LAGG config was set. THe traffic shaper settings had to be removed.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements