× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Laptop can’t ping outside of subnet

tantony
Luminary

Laptop can’t ping outside of subnet

I have two VLANs. One laptop on VLAN 2, and the other on VLAN 3. I’m able to ping both laptops from router and NETGEAR switch. But, VLAN 2 laptop can ping VLAN 3 laptop. VLAN 3 laptop can’t ping VLAN 2 laptop. I don’t have any firewall rules. I disabled windows firewall on both laptops.

VLAN 3 laptop can only ping other laptop on VLAN 3. I’m not sure why.
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
tantony
Luminary

As suspected, it's a laptop issue.  I tried another laptop, and I'm able to ping both laptop to each other from different VLANs.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

There is no "magic" routing between subnets - that's the reason I often say one should not talk of "inter-VLAN-routing". The static IPv4 routing must be configured accordingly. Some routing capability must be avilable on your network, either on a dedicated router, on on an L2+/L3 switch. 

Message 2 of 6
tantony
Luminary

The fact that I can ping the laptops from the router and the switch mean routing works correct?
Message 3 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Show us more if your network, of your router configuration (with multiple subnets), and of your switch config.

Message 4 of 6
tantony
Luminary

I’m afraid I can’t do that till Monday. But If I swap the laptops, that’s same laptop is doing the same thing. So it might be a laptop firewall issue. But, I have firewall disabled on the laptop.
Message 5 of 6
tantony
Luminary

As suspected, it's a laptop issue.  I tried another laptop, and I'm able to ping both laptop to each other from different VLANs.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements