× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Letter of Volatility GSS116E

jkonz
Aspirant

Letter of Volatility GSS116E

Hello, I am in need of a letter of volatility for a GSS116E-100NAS. Please provide details.

Thanks

Model: GSS116E|ProSAFE 16-port Gigabit Click Switch
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Letter of Volatility GSS116E

@jkonz,

I apologize for the long wait.  I just received a feedback about your concern on the GSS116E Letter of Volatility.  Here is the feedback from the engineering team: 

"What is meant is the user can modify the switch configuration or upload a different firmware to modify the content of those memory. Because user can change configuration settings and upload a different firmware image in SPI Flash, the User Modifiable field of SPI Flash is marked as Yes."

"The current letter of volatility is correct and will not be changed."

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@jkonz,

Welcome to the community! 🙂

Kindly download the Letter of Volatility for the GSS116E switch on this link.  The link will expire within 48 hours.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 9
jkonz
Aspirant

DaneA - 

Thanks for the reply.

Can you clarify the SPI Flash section under the 'non-volatile memory' section? I am wondering why it is user modifiable without a flash programmer, but in order to clear the device you need a flash programmer. I only ask because this is going to be a problem in our application, I am looking for a clearing procedure that does not involve disassembly or any physical intervention. 

Thanks

Message 3 of 9
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@jkonz,

The GSS116E is only user modifiable using the flash programmer.  There is no other method to completely remove the contents of the flash. Also, there is no clearing procedure that can be provided.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 9
jkonz
Aspirant

@DaneA,

Thanks for the clarification. The letter of volatility 'User Modifiable' column is intended to indicate whether under normal operating conditions the user is able to modify the memory. My understanding is that physical modifications would be required to use the flash programmer.

It does not sound like the form that I have is populated correctly, and the SPI flash user modifiable checkbox should be 'No' instead of 'Yes'. Can you please provide an updated form?

Thanks

Message 5 of 9
jkonz
Aspirant

@DaneA

Any word on whether this updated form will be possible?

Thanks

Message 6 of 9
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@jkonz,

I have inquired this concern to the higher tier of NETGEAR Support as I am not authorize to make any sudden change on the document. I'll post here any update once I got a feedback.  

Kindly wait. 🙂 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 9
jkonz
Aspirant

@DaneA,

Any update here? 

Thanks

Message 8 of 9
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@jkonz,

I apologize for the long wait.  I just received a feedback about your concern on the GSS116E Letter of Volatility.  Here is the feedback from the engineering team: 

"What is meant is the user can modify the switch configuration or upload a different firmware to modify the content of those memory. Because user can change configuration settings and upload a different firmware image in SPI Flash, the User Modifiable field of SPI Flash is marked as Yes."

"The current letter of volatility is correct and will not be changed."

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements