× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Link Aggregation (LAG) question

tantony
Luminary

Link Aggregation (LAG) question

I never setup LAG before on switch ports, so just to make sure, when I setup LAG, it have to be done on two switches right?  For example from switch A and B.

If I only setup LAG on switch A what happens?  My understanding is that LAG is used for redudency, load sharing, and higher bandwidth.

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Link Aggregation (LAG) question

@tantony wrote:

..., when I setup LAG, it have to be done on two switches right?  For example from switch A and B.

Correct.

@tantony wrote:

If I only setup LAG on switch A what happens?  My understanding is that LAG is used for redundancy, load sharing, and higher bandwidth.

If you connect two different systems, if you connect a switch using both (non-configured) ports, to this LAG - I'll promise a nightmare and mess on your LAN.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Re: Link Aggregation (LAG) question

@tantony wrote:

..., when I setup LAG, it have to be done on two switches right?  For example from switch A and B.

Correct.

@tantony wrote:

If I only setup LAG on switch A what happens?  My understanding is that LAG is used for redundancy, load sharing, and higher bandwidth.

If you connect two different systems, if you connect a switch using both (non-configured) ports, to this LAG - I'll promise a nightmare and mess on your LAN.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements