× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear GS116E Switch cannot connect at 1Gbps to D-Link DGS-105 Switch

Boomerang3
Apprentice

Netgear GS116E Switch cannot connect at 1Gbps to D-Link DGS-105 Switch

1. I have a Netgear GS116Ev2 switch that will not connect at 1Gbps to a D-Link DGS-105, BUT does connect at 1Gbps to a Trendnet TEG-650g.  The Trendnet TEG-650g went bad so I had a spare D-Link DGS-105, but it won't connect at 1Gbps.

2. So, looking for a bit of education and recommendation for a new 5 port switch from Netgear.  

3. Why won't the GS116Ev2 connect to the D-Link DGS-105 at 1Gbps but does connect to the Trendnet TEG-650g?  Both are supposedly Gigabit Switches.

4. Thanks for the support and more importantly education, as well as a recommendation for a new 5 port switch.

Thanks.

Model: GS116Ev2|ProSafe Plus 16 ports gigabits switch
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Same cable, same wiring?

Not on any port?

Link does come up on 10 or 100 Mbit - or not at all?

Link does come up against the Orbi Pro (for testing) using a healthy patch cable?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Same cable, same wiring?

Not on any port?

Link does come up on 10 or 100 Mbit - or not at all?

Link does come up against the Orbi Pro (for testing) using a healthy patch cable?

Message 2 of 4
Boomerang3
Apprentice

Thanks for the quick reply.  

I had initially tried different ports, and the cable was the same.  It initially connected ato 100Mbps, just not 1000Mbps.  

So your reply got me to change the cable to a different port on the D-Link DGS-105 and wouldn't you know it, it connected at 1000Mbps.

So I change the cable back to the original port to see if it would now connect at 1000Mbps and it did.  So maybe the switches had to adjust or changing the port back and forth caused something to synch between the switches.  I don't know if that's possible, but it's not connecting at 1000Mbps.

Thanks again for the reply.

Model: GS116Ev2|ProSafe Plus 16 ports gigabits switch
Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Something on that cable or the connectors must be wonky.

Fast Ethernet does run on just two defined pairs, while Gigabit and up does require for working pairs.

Replace the cable! You never know what will happen on the next hours or days.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements