× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Only One GS108Tv2 Recognizes Gigabit Connection to Playstation 4

Jenjo
Aspirant

Only One GS108Tv2 Recognizes Gigabit Connection to Playstation 4

Hey!

I'm kind of going nuts trying to figure this one out. Here's what I've got:

Gateway (NVG599, no choice, required by ISP) > Switch 1 (GS108Tv2) > Switch 2 (also a GS108Tv2) > Playstation 4

Internet: AT&T Fiber, tests at the full gig (or as close as it gets) on my PC

Cables: All cat 6 or Cat5E

My husband has been complaining of poor speeds on the PS4. Our other devices on the second switch aren't gigabit capable, so they don't really indicate slower connections than they should. I replaced the cable between Switch 2 and the PS4 and Switch 2 began recognizing it as a gigabit connection. I checked the speeds, they'd gone up to 74 mbps down, but from what I can tell it should be capable of at least 250 (PSN doesn't likely allow much faster than that, so my aim isn't too high). I checked Switch 2 and it shows the PS4 port and the connection to Switch 1 as a gigabit connection. I checked Switch 1 and it shows a gigabit connection to Switch 2 but only 100 for the PS4 port, no option to set it to 1000 manually. I've rebooted, I've Googled, I've put both the PS4's mac address in what passes for a DMZ with out gateway, and I'm at a loss for anything else to try at this point. Most things like this seem to be cable problems, but Switch 2 shows a gigabit to the device and both switches show a gigabit connection to each other.

Any suggestions?

Model: GS108Tv2|ProSAFE 8-port Gigabit Smart Switch
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Jenjo
Aspirant

Re: Only One GS108Tv2 Recognizes Gigabit Connection to Playstation 4

Hey!

Thank you for following up. I'm sorry I haven't replied sooner; I don't have much time during weekdays and ended up discovering a few things.

-You are correct in your reiteration of the network path to the PS4.

-I switched around all the cables over the weekend and when I switched them back to what they were, the PS4 was suddenly receiving appropriate speeds. It's still showing as not a gigabit connection on the other switch, but since it's not actually limiting anything it's not really a worry anymore.

-When switching the cables around, I found a bleeping keystone in the cable leading outside for not apparent reason. Since my husband's other keystone installations didn't work out so well over time, this is a giant red flag.

-Apparently my husband switched out the Belkin switch we had on our Tivo in the bedroom with yet another Netgear GS108T, so I now have to go through and check the mac address on the first switch in the link to verify whether it's the one I've actually been looking at or if I've been connecting to a third one I didn't even know we had to try and work all this through.

Either way, the PS4 is no longer limited to like 54 megs, so we're good!

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Jenjo,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Kindly answer the questions below:

a. Just to confirm, the PS4 port connected to Switch 1 shows a Gigabit connection.  Then, the PS4 port connected to Switch 2 just shows 100Mbps.  Lastly, the connection between the 2 switches shows a Gigabit connection.  Am I right? 

b. What is the current firmware version of both GS108Tv2? 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Jenjo,

I just want to follow-up on this.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 5
Jenjo
Aspirant

Hey!

Thank you for following up. I'm sorry I haven't replied sooner; I don't have much time during weekdays and ended up discovering a few things.

-You are correct in your reiteration of the network path to the PS4.

-I switched around all the cables over the weekend and when I switched them back to what they were, the PS4 was suddenly receiving appropriate speeds. It's still showing as not a gigabit connection on the other switch, but since it's not actually limiting anything it's not really a worry anymore.

-When switching the cables around, I found a bleeping keystone in the cable leading outside for not apparent reason. Since my husband's other keystone installations didn't work out so well over time, this is a giant red flag.

-Apparently my husband switched out the Belkin switch we had on our Tivo in the bedroom with yet another Netgear GS108T, so I now have to go through and check the mac address on the first switch in the link to verify whether it's the one I've actually been looking at or if I've been connecting to a third one I didn't even know we had to try and work all this through.

Either way, the PS4 is no longer limited to like 54 megs, so we're good!

Message 4 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Jenjo,

I'm glad to know that you're all good. 🙂  

Since it seems that its working now, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Cheers,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements