× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Port Based Authentication Mode Enable => management web console lost

lcoNET
Aspirant

Port Based Authentication Mode Enable => management web console lost

Hello,

I configure a NPS, Radius Server on Windows Server which is configured to return Tunnel Attributes :

Tunnel-Medium-Type : 802

Tunnel-Type. Select Virtual LANs (VLAN).

Tunnel-Pvt-Group-ID : 1 (my management VLAN ID for test purpose)

on receiving mac address from my switch. I am only using Mac Auth. My goal is to attribute a VLAN (  Tunnel-Pvt-Group-ID ) from Radius when my switch send a mac address from supplicant.

Everything is fine until I select 802.1X Configuration => Port Based Authentication State to Enable.

I loose all access to the switch (web management console) and need to factory reset each time.

Is there a way to configure the admin port to Authorized state to avoid being disconnected by (802.1X port based authentication state)?  Something like Authorized state forever for admin port on the switch.

Thank you!

Model: XS716T|16-Port 10-Gigabit Copper Smart Managed Pro Switch with 2 Copper/SFP+ Combo Ports
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Port Based Authentication Mode Enable => management web console lost

Hi @lcoNET 

Welcome to Community!

Be careful, by default all ports's mode is 'Auto', that's mean all ports need to do 802.1x authentication once you enable 802.1x on global. So suggest you go to 802.1x port config page, only leave the ports that you want to do 802.1x authentication stay on 'Auto', for all other ports(uplink port, server port, or you said Admin port...) select to 'Force Authorized' mode, that's mean these ports will ignore the 802.1x process. Then enable 802.1x global.

Hope it helps!

Regard,

EricZ

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @lcoNET 

Welcome to Community!

Be careful, by default all ports's mode is 'Auto', that's mean all ports need to do 802.1x authentication once you enable 802.1x on global. So suggest you go to 802.1x port config page, only leave the ports that you want to do 802.1x authentication stay on 'Auto', for all other ports(uplink port, server port, or you said Admin port...) select to 'Force Authorized' mode, that's mean these ports will ignore the 802.1x process. Then enable 802.1x global.

Hope it helps!

Regard,

EricZ

Message 2 of 3
lcoNET
Aspirant

Hello EricZ,

I finish solving this problem on my own this way but it helps.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements