× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Prosafe S3300-28X - Real multi-chassis (stacked) LACP possible ?

ElectricSteve
Aspirant

Prosafe S3300-28X - Real multi-chassis (stacked) LACP possible ?

Hello,

The Prosafe S3300-28X supports stacking up to 6 chassis. Is this stacking for pure management'purposes (all can be managed through 1 IP-address)  or can I create LACP LAG's with ports from multiple S3300 chassis in the stack?

The manual is not clear because it talks about LAG's at one point, and the picture shows 2 chassis in a stack, but all the LACP members in the example are in the same physical chassis. So it gives the impression that multiple S3300 chassis cannot "act as one".

This is what I would like to build: 

Prosafe S3300-28X -------- | | | SFP+ SFP+ (stack) | | | | Prosafe S3300-28X -- | RJ45 (LACP with other RJ45) | | RJ45 ----------- | | | Prosafe XS712T --------

The XS712T switch has one 10G RJ45 cable running to each physical S3300 chassis and are in a LACP LAG.

Is this possible ?

Kind regards,

Steve

Model: S3300-28X (GS728TX)|ProSAFE 24-port Stackable Smart Switches
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
KieranP
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Prosafe S3300-28X - Real multi-chassis (stacked) LACP possible ?

Hi ElectricSteve,

I am 100% positive the S3300 does true stacking, I've personally specified and installed these switches across numerous customer solutions, using LAG/LACP distributed across the stacked switches.

Data Sheet Page 3 

"S3300 True Stacking NETGEAR stacking feature provides resilient network architecture: up to six (6) S3300 switches can be stacked with a single management IP address, which simplifies network operations. VLAN and QoS can be managed in a unified fashion across the stack. Up to 288 Gigabit access ports and 12 available 10-Gigabit uplinks offer support for high-density developments as well as flexibility for future network expansion need. The S3300 architecture offers a 40Gbps bi-directional stacking backplane with built-in redundancy and auto-failover. The stacking capability allows for master and slave switches with a secondary master as back-up. The backup master can quickly take over the failed master switch function. Failed switches can be hot-swapped with the rest of the switches in the stack unaffected and operational. Please note that stacking is supported at 10-Gigabit speeds (with either 10GBASE-T Copper or SFP+ Fiber modules) only. 1G stacking is not supported."

What is stacking, which smart switches support it, and what are the functionalities of stacking?

S3300 Manual Page 64 Stacking Configuration

I hope that helps!

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
KieranP
NETGEAR Expert

Hi ElectricSteve,

Welcome to community!

For sure you can acheive what you describe with the quoted switches.

With the S3300 you can stack with other S3300 models and as you said the unit's will operate as one virtual chassis, all connectivity will go to the master switch in the stack via its IP only, and all ports etc will now appear in the master GUI -  you can then use LAG to connect out to the XS712T across multiple S3300 switches for redundancy. In this scenario on the S3300 stack you would bond the ports across switches.

That would look like this:

ExampleStackLAG.jpg

These guides should help with configuring the solution:

S3300 Switch Stacking Support

S3300 Manual Page 69 - Stacking Configuration

S3300 Manual Page 114 - LAG Configuration

What is stacking and what smart switches support it

I hope that helps, but dont hesitate to reach out if you need any more help.

Thanks,

Message 2 of 5
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello ElectricSteve,

On the hardware installation manual, it is indicated that ports  25-26 and 27-28 can also be used for stacking. This confirms that they can be used as regular ports or ports with LAG. I believe you should connect the 2 10G cables on only one of the S3300 switch only. First, confirm that the two S3300 are already on a stack and can be managed as a single unit. After that, configure the LAG to the XS712T. 

Thanks,

Message 3 of 5
ElectricSteve
Aspirant

Guys, are you really, REALLY sure the S3300 can do true virtual chassis?  There is not a word about it in the manual or datasheet while these documents of the M5300 series do talk about real virtual chassis and chassis-spanning LAG's.

From the M5300 series datasheet:

"Virtual Chassis Stacking technology upsurges overall network availability with distributed link aggrega- tions (LAGs) across several switches, providing both better resiliency in network architectures, and better performance with advanced load balancing capabilities between network uplinks"

This is what i'm looking for.

It's not that I don't trust you guys but i've been around for a long time in this industry and have stumbled upon vendors using the word "stacking" for different things. In models in the lower price-range, what is often actually meant by stacking is "managing a set of switches with one IP".

I don't want to be rude but are you really sure about the s3300's capabilities in this respect?

Message 4 of 5
KieranP
NETGEAR Expert

Hi ElectricSteve,

I am 100% positive the S3300 does true stacking, I've personally specified and installed these switches across numerous customer solutions, using LAG/LACP distributed across the stacked switches.

Data Sheet Page 3 

"S3300 True Stacking NETGEAR stacking feature provides resilient network architecture: up to six (6) S3300 switches can be stacked with a single management IP address, which simplifies network operations. VLAN and QoS can be managed in a unified fashion across the stack. Up to 288 Gigabit access ports and 12 available 10-Gigabit uplinks offer support for high-density developments as well as flexibility for future network expansion need. The S3300 architecture offers a 40Gbps bi-directional stacking backplane with built-in redundancy and auto-failover. The stacking capability allows for master and slave switches with a secondary master as back-up. The backup master can quickly take over the failed master switch function. Failed switches can be hot-swapped with the rest of the switches in the stack unaffected and operational. Please note that stacking is supported at 10-Gigabit speeds (with either 10GBASE-T Copper or SFP+ Fiber modules) only. 1G stacking is not supported."

What is stacking, which smart switches support it, and what are the functionalities of stacking?

S3300 Manual Page 64 Stacking Configuration

I hope that helps!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements