× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Question about stacking or linking managed switches

Tim_In_VA
Aspirant

Question about stacking or linking managed switches

Here's a real newbie question for you:  if I connect two GS728TP switches using SFP ports, will I then see both switches when I'm using the web management interface?

Also, would the uplink ports be configured as trunking ports, assuming that both switches have routed VLANs on them?

Thanks in advance,

Tim_in_VA

Model: GS728TP|ProSafe 24 ports PoE Smart switch with 8 PoE+ ports
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Question about stacking or linking managed switches

@Tim_In_VA wrote:

Here's a real newbie question for you:  if I connect two GS728TP switches using SFP ports, will I then see both switches when I'm using the web management interface?

Most Netgear Smart Managed Pro switches are standalone managed units. Only the S3300 Series are stackable so offering a common single management platform

@Tim_In_VA wrote:

Also, would the uplink ports be configured as trunking ports, assuming that both switches have routed VLANs on them?

On a trunk you [T]g all VLAN in general. For some compatibility with other vendors I would tend to run the management VLAN untagged. Note that Netgear switches don't differ in the user accessible config between trunking and access ports, you can configure a trunk on any port or LAG (combining multiple ports of the same speed and latency) as one logical unit.

Last but not least, routing is L3, while VLAN is L2 - so don't mix up the terms. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@Tim_In_VA wrote:

Most Netgear Smart Managed Pro switches are standalone managed units. Only the S3300 Series are stackable so offering a common single management platform

@Tim_In_VA wrote:

On a trunk you [T]g all VLAN in general. For some compatibility with other vendors I would tend to run the management VLAN untagged. Note that Netgear switches don't differ in the user accessible config between trunking and access ports, you can configure a trunk on any port or LAG (combining multiple ports of the same speed and latency) as one logical unit.

Last but not least, routing is L3, while VLAN is L2 - so don't mix up the terms. 

Message 2 of 3
Tim_In_VA
Aspirant

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I am marking your response as a solution.

Model: GS728TP|ProSafe 24 ports PoE Smart switch with 8 PoE+ ports
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements