× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Questions about the GS748T or GS750E

flyinjoe13
Aspirant

Questions about the GS748T or GS750E

Hoping for a little help\advice.  I currently have a GS105E Netgear ProSAFE Plus Switch.  It's a simple 5-port switch that allows me to accomplish something with my very small business very easily.  If your not familair with this model, it has a very simple port vlan setup that makes it easy to keep computers from communicating with each other, but still share the internet access.  I can plug my gateway\modem into port 1 and then go thru the web interface and configure each port to communicate with port 1, but not each other or if need be another port.   It doesn't require any fancy vlan configuration or special routers that are vlan aware.  It just allows me to configure things on a port basis.

I now need to upgrade my switch to a 48-port switch as I move from a very small business to a small business, but I would like to have the same simiple port vlan options.  I don't want to have to buy a special gateway router that needs configured or have to have a degree in networking to make it all work. 

Are there any Netgear 48-port switches that offer the same ease in configuration as the GS105E?  I was looking at the GS748T or the GS750E as possibilities, but want to make sure what I am getting into before I buy one.  I thought maybe the GS750E might be what I need because it is in the same family line as my current GS105E so the configuration options might be the same but I can't find any solid information on it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Joe

Model: GS748T|48-port Gigabit Smart Switch
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
XavierLL
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Joe,

Welcome to our community and thanks for sharing with us your good experience configuring VLANs in our GS105E.

I would recommend the GS750E if you are looking for a switch with a similar capabilities than the GS105E. Both of them belong to our Smart Managed Plus switch series and both of them have same configuration menus and features . In terms of VLAN configuration both of them support Port-Based VLAN that allows you to configure VLANs without to implement any tagging.

The GS748T belongs to our Smart Managed Pro and doesn´t support Port-BAsed VLAN so you will need to configure the VLANs using 802.1Q. However if you are looking to more advanced features like SNMP, ACL, etc... the GS748T would be your option.

Hope it helps!

Xavier Lleixa

NETGEAR CBU PLM

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
XavierLL
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Joe,

Welcome to our community and thanks for sharing with us your good experience configuring VLANs in our GS105E.

I would recommend the GS750E if you are looking for a switch with a similar capabilities than the GS105E. Both of them belong to our Smart Managed Plus switch series and both of them have same configuration menus and features . In terms of VLAN configuration both of them support Port-Based VLAN that allows you to configure VLANs without to implement any tagging.

The GS748T belongs to our Smart Managed Pro and doesn´t support Port-BAsed VLAN so you will need to configure the VLANs using 802.1Q. However if you are looking to more advanced features like SNMP, ACL, etc... the GS748T would be your option.

Hope it helps!

Xavier Lleixa

NETGEAR CBU PLM

Message 2 of 4
flyinjoe13
Aspirant

Thank you for the information.  I went ahead and ordered the GS750E because of your suggestion.

Message 3 of 4
henrylaw
Tutor

I'm sure that the GS750 is a far superior model but (for the benefit of someone reading this thread in the future) I don't think it's true that the GS748T doesn't support port-based VLANs.  Page 4-7 of the user manual for ours (dated 2005) says "Multiple port-based VLAN groups are supported on the switch, and any one port can belong to different VLAN groups."

The GS748T is a wonderful piece of kit.  It supports all the things you'd want for a small business (or a charity like ours) and is very reliable.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements