× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Remote syslog server

Neeraj79
Initiate

Remote syslog server

Hi, we have a neatgear GS724T running firmware 6.3.1.4. I am using it as a pure L2 switch with no routing enabled. 

I am managing it via its default IP 192.168.0.239 . My requirement is to send syslog msgs to a remote syslog server thats in a different  subnet (10.100.0.x/24) .   Do i need to add a static route to reach the remote server ?

Model: GS724T|24-port Gigabit Smart Switch
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Neeraj79
Initiate

Thank you Schumaku & DaneA. I was managing it by plugging a computer to that very same default VLAN and configure an address in the 192.168.0.x/24 subnet instead of the "normally" used IP subnet.  Upon adopting the switch's ipv4 configuration to the network , configuring default gateway etc it is now working.  

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Neeraj79,

Welcome to the community! Smiley Happy  

Based on the firmware version posted, you have a GS724Tv4 switch.  Are there VLANs configured on the GS724Tv4 switch?  Setting up an ACL might help to allow access only  to the remote syslog server.  

Kindly read pages 216-222 and 284-285  of the GS724Tv4 software administration manual here about IP ACL and Standard IP ACL Example Configuration respectively. 

It would be best if you post a screenshot or image of your detailed network setup.  

Also, since the firmware of your GS724Tv4 switch is an old version, you may want to consider upgrading the firmware.  I suggest you to upgrade the firmware in a ladderized manner.  First, upgrade the firmware from v6.3.1.4 to v6.3.1.9.  Then, upgrade from v6.3.1.9 to 6.3.1.11 and so on until you reach the latest firmware version which is  6.3.1.19.  Be sure to perform factory reset after upgrading the firmware to the latest version then reconfigure the setting from scratch in order to start clean using the latest firmware version.  You can download the firmware versions of the GS724Tv4 switch here.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@Neeraj79 wrote:

I am managing it via its default IP 192.168.0.239 .

How? By plugging a computer to that very same default VLAN and configure an address in the 192.168.0.x/24 subnet instead of the "normally" used IP subnet?

If you intend to reach the switch for the management and for the other services to reach another system, the system IPv4 configuration needs to be adopted to the network, and as it was mentioned before by @DaneA by adding ACLs if required to restrict the access.

Message 3 of 5
Neeraj79
Initiate

Thank you Schumaku & DaneA. I was managing it by plugging a computer to that very same default VLAN and configure an address in the 192.168.0.x/24 subnet instead of the "normally" used IP subnet.  Upon adopting the switch's ipv4 configuration to the network , configuring default gateway etc it is now working.  

Message 4 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Neeraj79,

Thank you for the update.  I'm glad to know that you were able to figure it out and its it is now working.

Since your concern has been resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements