× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

S3300 Inter-VLAN Routing

w1e5b2
Follower

S3300 Inter-VLAN Routing

Hello,

before I buy the Netgear S3300, I would like to check if my use case is supported.

The use case is the same as in article 30818 (see figure below)

- Three (or 5) VLANs

- The devices in the VLANs shall be able to communicate with each other. Routing shall be done by S3300 to get optimal performance.

- The devices in some of the VLANs shall additionally be able to communicate with the internet via a separate internet Gateway.

- Inter-VLAN routing and the routing to the internet shall be restrictable (e.g. by ACLs).

(e.g. VLAN 30 devices shall be able to communicate with devices in VLAN 20 but not in VLAN 10. Devices in VLAN 20 shall NOT be able to access the internet)

Article 30818 describes that this is possible with a Managed Switch (e.g. M4300).

- Is the same possible with the S3300 (Smart Managed Switch)?

- Is the same possible if two S3300 are stacked and the VLAN 10/20/30 are distributed over the two stacked switches? This means, is the inter-VLAN routing and internet routing transparent over the stacked switches?

Many thanks.

w1e5b2

Model: S3300-52X (GS752TX)|ProSafe 48 ports stackable smart switches
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: S3300 Inter-VLAN Routing

Hi @w1e5b2,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

The S3300 switch supports VLAN routing and ACLs (MAC ACL & IP ACL) but not Layer 3 routing (which includes RIP, OSPF) because the S3300 is not a Layer 3 switch.  The M4300 switch is a Layer 3 switch since it supports Layer 3 routing (which includes RIP, OSPF). 

If ever you will purchase the S3300 switch, I suggest you to have a business-type firewall/router. 

For more information, kindly check the data sheets below:

S3300 Smart Managed Pro Switch Series Data Sheet

M4300 Intelligent Edge Managed Switches Series Data Sheet

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @w1e5b2,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

The S3300 switch supports VLAN routing and ACLs (MAC ACL & IP ACL) but not Layer 3 routing (which includes RIP, OSPF) because the S3300 is not a Layer 3 switch.  The M4300 switch is a Layer 3 switch since it supports Layer 3 routing (which includes RIP, OSPF). 

If ever you will purchase the S3300 switch, I suggest you to have a business-type firewall/router. 

For more information, kindly check the data sheets below:

S3300 Smart Managed Pro Switch Series Data Sheet

M4300 Intelligent Edge Managed Switches Series Data Sheet

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 3
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@w1e5b2,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Let us know if you have further questions.

Otherwise, if ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements