× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SFP+ slots do not work at 1GE on GS728TXS

switchfox
Aspirant

SFP+ slots do not work at 1GE on GS728TXS

According to its specification the Netgear GS728TXS switch supports optical signals with line rates of 1GE or 10GE on ports xg25..xg28. All works fine for 10GE optical signals with SFP+ (single rate 10G and dual rate 1G/10G) on all respective ports, however 1GE signals are not working on any of those ports with SFP+ (dual rate) or SFP for 1GE . Link stays down. Seems the switch completely ignores the 1GE and I did not find any information in the HW/SW manuals on how to make that work. It is definitely not a cabling problem. Also the "Switching/Port configuration" menu has no speed selection of 1000M and AUTO obviously does not the job. Plugging in an SFP or SFP+ always shows a speed of "10G Full". The switch uses the latest firmware 6.1.0.36, Ports are configured as "Ethernet" (e.g. non-stacking,). Any guess what I missed and how the switch can be configured to accept 1GE optical signals. Thanks.
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
switchfox
Aspirant

Re: SFP+ slots do not work at 1GE on GS728TXS

Hi John,

thanks a lot for your assistance. I now successfully made it work. It was a combination of several things:
-- Some of my SFPs (although compliant to 1000BaseSX/LX) are not working in the GS728TXS for whatever reason

-- The dual rate SFP+s are always used at 10GE and the GS728 obviously cannot be configured to use them at 1GE
-- The optical RX power sometimes was accidentally in the overload region.
    ==> Would have been very helpful if the GS728 Web GUI (e.g. in the switching ports list) showed the RX level
            of the plugged in SFP or even other information contained in the SFP-internal EEPROM or at least
            LOS/Overload status.

In conclusion this is the "Accepted Solution".

Thanks again for your help

Kind regards

Switchfox

View solution in original post

Model: GS728TXS|ProSAFE Smart Switch with 10G fiber
Message 6 of 6

All Replies
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi switchfox,

Welcome to the community!

Smart switches will automatically detect if it is a 1G/10G speed. It will still be depending on the module that you are using. May I know what SFP module are you using?

Regards,

Message 2 of 6
switchfox
Aspirant

Hi John,

thanks for taking care of my question. Find below a selection of transceivers I used with GS728TXS

-- Finisar, FTLX1472M3BCL, SFP+, 9.95 to 11.3Gb/s, 10GBASE-LR/-LW ==> works
-- Lumentum, PLRXPL-Sx-S43-22-N, SFP+, 10.312 Gb/s, 10GBASE-LR/LW ==> works
-- Finisar, FTLX1471D3BCV, SFP+(dual rate), 1.25 Gb/s or 9.95 to 10.3 Gb/s, 1000BASE-LX & 10GBASE-LR/LW ==> works at 10GE but does not work at 1GE
-- Lumentum JSH-42L4DD1, SFP, 1.06 to 4.25GB/s, 1000BASE-LX ==> does not work
-- Lumentum, PLRXPL-VE-SG4-38, SFP, 1.06 to 4.25GB/s, 1000BASE-SX ==> does not work

Could you provide some part numbers of SFP/SFP+ that are known to be working?

Are there special setting in the SFP EEPROM settings (SFF-8472) that are required?

Kind regards

Switchfox

Message 3 of 6
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@switchfox,

We only recommend NETGEAR modules for our smart switches. But you can still use a 3rd party modules as long as it is working.

You may check this link.

Regards,

Message 4 of 6
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@switchfox,

I would like to have a follow up on this thread. Please let us know if you still need further assistance and just in case that the reply would be the answer to your issue. I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 5 of 6
switchfox
Aspirant

Hi John,

thanks a lot for your assistance. I now successfully made it work. It was a combination of several things:
-- Some of my SFPs (although compliant to 1000BaseSX/LX) are not working in the GS728TXS for whatever reason

-- The dual rate SFP+s are always used at 10GE and the GS728 obviously cannot be configured to use them at 1GE
-- The optical RX power sometimes was accidentally in the overload region.
    ==> Would have been very helpful if the GS728 Web GUI (e.g. in the switching ports list) showed the RX level
            of the plugged in SFP or even other information contained in the SFP-internal EEPROM or at least
            LOS/Overload status.

In conclusion this is the "Accepted Solution".

Thanks again for your help

Kind regards

Switchfox

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements