× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Samsung Devices incompatible with GS108Tv2

MorbidDK
Aspirant

Samsung Devices incompatible with GS108Tv2

I was wracking my brain this weekend trying to figure out why my PS3 and Laptop were pulling an IP address through my GS108Tv2 but my Samsung TV could not. For now I removed the switch and the TV can pull an IP from the network just fine, but I do not have my PS3 connected anymore, nor do I have additional ports for users to connect their laptops or whatever else to, which was the point of placing the switch in the first place. Very similar to this post which did not appear to have resolution: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Unmanaged-Switches/Can-t-connect-TV-to-internet-through-GS108-switc...

I have now repurposed this switch for my office. Completely factory reset the switch, just in case. I have a Laptop, Desktop and IP Phone all connected to the switch and working perfectly fine, however my Samsung SmartThings Hub is not able to establish a connect. This is really sounding like a compatibility issue between this device and Samsung devices.

Model: GS108Tv2|ProSAFE 8-port Gigabit Smart Switch
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
MorbidDK
Aspirant

Re: Samsung Devices incompatible with GS108Tv2

So it appears that defaulting the switch 3 times is what it took for it to function correctly. No clue what got messed up with the config as everything looked perfectly fine.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
Hopchen
Prodigy

Hi @MorbidDK

It could an issue with Auto MDI/MDIX? Do you know if the Samsung device support this?

In short, there are two types of network cable on this world: straight-through cables and cross-over cables.

Back in the days you needed to use a cross-over network cable if you connected these device together, to make sure the pins connected correctly on both ends.
PC --> PC
PC --> Router
Switch --> switch

On the other hand you used a straight-through network cable if you connected these devices together.
PC --> Switch
Router --> Switch

Now a days, we don't need to worry about the type of the cable because of "Auto-MDI/MDIX". This feature will allow the devices to adjust their pin-layout so that you can use any cable you want - in any scenario. The devices will adjust their own pin layout if needed (via software).

This is important because you can only use whatever cable type you want (cross-over or straight-through) IF the devices in both ends supports Auto-MDI/MDIX. Maybe this is the problem. Make an easy test; look at the cable you use between the switch and the Samsung device. Is it cross-over or straight-through? It will say so written on the cable. In that case, get the opposite type of cable when connecting the switch and the Samsung device. Hopefully, it should work.

Cheers

Message 2 of 3
MorbidDK
Aspirant

So it appears that defaulting the switch 3 times is what it took for it to function correctly. No clue what got messed up with the config as everything looked perfectly fine.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements