× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Set the command line banner on GS724T v4

FishEyeGuy
Tutor

Set the command line banner on GS724T v4

I'm setting up a small network at my company.  I've been able to do most of the setup required using the web interface.  There's something I've been trying to do, that I can't figure out how to do.

The network is a standalone peer-to-peer network, and our customer requires that we use the command line interface once the network is configured.  They also require that a warning banner appear before users can log in.  I know there is an unadvertised command line interface that I can use on the GS724T v4 switch.  I've been able to telnet to it, and most of the commands are documented in other Netgear CLI documentation.  There is a Privileged EXEC command, copy, that I've been trying to use to download the text for the CLI banner.

The command seems to accecpt the parameters and prints a listing that implies that the parameters are correct.  However, when I enter 'y' in answer to the "do you really want to do this" prompt, I get a message back that the file transfer failed.

I'm using Windows 10 to connect to the switch, and I've updated the firmware to the latest version, 6.3.1.19.  I enabled TFTP on my PC, but that didn't make a difference.  The interface also doesn't like the drive name (C:) in the url.  I tried a different approach and tried using a data drive attached to the network, making sure that FTP was enable on the drive and the folder.

The command I'm trying to use for Windows 10 is:

> enable

# copy tftp:://192.168.1.111/C/Users/FishEyeGuy/Documents/banner.txt nvram:clibanner

For the data drive I use:

> enable

# copy tftp://12.168.1.222/volumeName/banner.txt nvram:clibanner

I've been working at this for about a week now and tried several things already.  Any help would be appreciated.

Model: GS724Tv4|ProSAFE 24-port Gigabit Smart Switch
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
FishEyeGuy
Tutor

Re: Set the command line banner on GS724T v4

After poking around using telnet, I was able to set the command line banner.  I started out in Privileged Exec mode, using enable, and then going to Global Config mode, using config

In config mode I was able to use set clibanner to enter a double-quoted text string.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @FishEyeGuy,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

I understand that you are able to have telnet access to the GS724Tv4.  However, it seems that the commands you try to enter to set up a banner is not supported since there is no official documentation about it.

CLI access is supported on NETGEAR Managed Switches like the M5300 series switch models and M4300 series switch models.  Configuring a banner message is a feature that can be set via CLI access.  Thus, the banner message is supported on NETGEAR Managed Switches and not on NETGEAR Smart Switches like the GS724Tv4.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 5
FishEyeGuy
Tutor

Thanks for the reply DaneA.

I kind of expected that would be the answer, but I was hoping for a workaround, given that I was able to access the switch via telnet and use several of the commands.

I'll need to get with mgmt and see how they want to proceed; either except the way things are or consider purchasing a managed switch.

Message 3 of 5
FishEyeGuy
Tutor

After poking around using telnet, I was able to set the command line banner.  I started out in Privileged Exec mode, using enable, and then going to Global Config mode, using config

In config mode I was able to use set clibanner to enter a double-quoted text string.

Message 4 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@FishEyeGuy,

Thanks for the update and sharing how you set the banner via telnet on the GS724Tv4 switch.  This will help other community members as well. Kudos to you! 🙂 

Feel free to post your future concerns here in the community.  

Cheers,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements