× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Setting up Switch for Remote Desktop

MikeEinhorn
Aspirant

Setting up Switch for Remote Desktop

Hello,

I recently purchased a GS105E switch to replace an old wireless router I had.  On my older unit was straightforward to open ports to allow remote desktop to work but on the GS105E I don't see where I access the settings to open port 3389 for Remote Desktop.  I installed the Prosafe Utility but it is just not apparent where this setting is.  

Appreciate any help or link to directions.

Mike

Model: GS105E|5 ports ProSafe Unmanaged Plus switch
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: Setting up Switch for Remote Desktop

A switch is not a router. A router, particularly in the home router segment, is commonly a firewall, NAT, Wi-Fi Access Point, IP router and switch. A switch alone is used to connect multiple Ethernet segments (cables) together. Because a switch has no firewall, it can no concept of opening ports.

If you need a router, get a router.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

A switch is not a router. A router, particularly in the home router segment, is commonly a firewall, NAT, Wi-Fi Access Point, IP router and switch. A switch alone is used to connect multiple Ethernet segments (cables) together. Because a switch has no firewall, it can no concept of opening ports.

If you need a router, get a router.
Message 2 of 6
MikeEinhorn
Aspirant

Thanks!  You know what they say, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.  I'll get the router.

Message 3 of 6
TheEther
Guru

No problem. BTW, if you need extra Ethernet ports, you can connect the GS105E to one of your router's LAN ports.
Message 4 of 6
MikeEinhorn
Aspirant

Hi, one more question.  I picked up a NETGEAR R6220.  I have two PCs plugged into that unit.  One of them is where I have software that users out on the internet access using Windows Remote Desktop. The NETGEAR router recieves internet from my ISP Cable modem.

So far:

-I made sure that the PC I want them to access has a set static IP address

-set the router to always assign that address to that PC from DHCP

-set a static route to that PC

-opened ports 3389 to that PC

But sadly, folks on the outside world still can't reach that PC.  They can ping my static ip address just fine but can't connect.  Any ideas there?

Thanks In advance!

Message 5 of 6
TheEther
Guru

Just to be sure, does the R6220 have a public WAN IP address? You can find it in the Advanced settings under the Internet Port panel. If the address there is any of the following, then it's not a public address:

• 192.168.x.x
  • 10.x.x.x
  • 172.16.x.x through 172.31.x.x
  • 100.64.x.x through 100.127.x.x

You don't need the static route.  Remove it.

Have you confirmed that RDP is enabled on the PC?  Can you connect to it locally?

Also, I'm not sure if you know, but it's generally considered risky to expose a PC to the Internet via RDP.  If you have no other option, then you may want to take extra measures to protect the PC against intrusions by hackers.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements