× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Smart Managed Plus GS308E switch

networkbug
Aspirant

Smart Managed Plus GS308E switch

Hello All.  First time poster to this community.  I run a small business and started out with just a router.  I would like to upgrade my network to include 2 wireless access points and a couple of IP cameras....as well as some cable runs.  I do have a budget to work with so I am trying to keep the cost down but I want to end up with some room to expand with adding any more networking equipment (for the time being).

I want to use a PoE(+) switch (8-port???) for the APs & ip devices AND a regular switch (8-port???) for dedicated cable runs.  I would like to be able to use the Netgear PC-Utility/Web-based-GUI to monitor/diagnose cable issues.  I have looked at the GS308E as a smart-managed-plus solution to be able to monitor any problems with the cable runs (PoE & non-PoE devices). 

Question: I am using an apple-based device (iMac, MacbookPro) in my office.  Do the tools to access the smart-managed-plus software operate on the MacOSX operating system.  I like the tools but do not want to make the purchase if Netgear is only supporting uSoft-based OS.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you folks can offer.

......networkbug

Model: GS308E|8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switch
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Welcome to the Netgear Community!

Depends of what you want to achieve. In general, all Smart Managed Plus (GSnnnE[P[P]], XSnnnE) and Smart Managed Pro (GSnnnT[P], XSnnnT) are essentially Web manageable switches. The ProSafe Plus Config Utility and Smart Control Center have (mostly) legacy usage. Netgear does provide the Netgar Switch Discovery Tool for MacOS and Windows.

I would like to suggest you looking into Netgear Insight solution especially as you want to add switch(es) and wireless access point(s) to your infrastructure. This allows easy network config and management from local and remote, using an App or a Web portal access.

A small difference in the Insight Switches (GCnnn[P[P]]) line is that the switches are covered with a five year limited warranty and 90 days of free support, while the Smart Managed Plus and Pro come with a limited lifetime warranty and support (including the new GS cloud [Insight] manageable switches).

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Welcome to the Netgear Community!

Depends of what you want to achieve. In general, all Smart Managed Plus (GSnnnE[P[P]], XSnnnE) and Smart Managed Pro (GSnnnT[P], XSnnnT) are essentially Web manageable switches. The ProSafe Plus Config Utility and Smart Control Center have (mostly) legacy usage. Netgear does provide the Netgar Switch Discovery Tool for MacOS and Windows.

I would like to suggest you looking into Netgear Insight solution especially as you want to add switch(es) and wireless access point(s) to your infrastructure. This allows easy network config and management from local and remote, using an App or a Web portal access.

A small difference in the Insight Switches (GCnnn[P[P]]) line is that the switches are covered with a five year limited warranty and 90 days of free support, while the Smart Managed Plus and Pro come with a limited lifetime warranty and support (including the new GS cloud [Insight] manageable switches).

Message 2 of 3
networkbug
Aspirant

Hello schumaku. 

Thanks for your timely reply.  Your answer is right to my point and I appreciate that.

I am new to Netgear and just assumed that I could find a 8-port PoE+ switch that would meet my requirements so I did not list it with the GS108E. 

Until I read your response, I did not get the reason for the separation of the different managed switches.  Perhaps you are aware that Mac OS X comes standard with several network-based tools that have been very helpful to me in the past.  Actually, using the Mac products has helped me to learn more about networking that I every did using windows.

Also, thanks for explaining about the ConfigUtility/SmartControlCentere.  That information helps to remove some of the clutter from my research.

I will look into the Insight Switch ( GCnnn[P[P]] ) products.  Perhaps they will satisfy my requirements for non-PoE and PoE connections.

Thank you again for clearing up some of the clutter for me.  It is not clear from the NETGEAR website what all this stuff is OR why it is there.

Regards......networkbug

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements