× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Smart Managed Pro Switch and TLS 1.2 support

User00
Star

Smart Managed Pro Switch and TLS 1.2 support

With the recent release of Firefox (v74) any SSL connection that's not connecting at TLS 1.2 is flagged.  I don't believe the Smart Managed Pro models support 1.2 (not even 1.1, just 1.0), do they?  I only have the one GS724Tv4 with the latest firmware v6.3.1.34 - so didn't know if any of the other models had that option available to them.

Thanks!

Model: GS724Tv4|ProSafe 24 ports Gigabit Smart switch
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
User00
Star

Re: Smart Managed Pro Switch and TLS 1.2 support

Well, it took long enough - but FINALLY!!!

v6.3.1.43 now supports TLS 1.2

Image158.jpg

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 11

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@User00 wrote:

With the recent release of Firefox (v74) any SSL connection that's not connecting at TLS 1.2 is flagged.  

One click to override for the moment.

@User00 wrote:

I don't believe the Smart Managed Pro models support 1.2 (not even 1.1, just 1.0), do they?

Smart Managed Pro is a generic designation for the Web Smart Managed switches devices for about 20 years.

@User00 wrote:

I only have the one GS724Tv4 with the latest firmware v6.3.1.34 - so didn't know if any of the other models had that option available to them.

The GS716Tv3, GS724Tv4 and GS748Tv5 line is a little aged - appears Netgear has not cared yet for updating these devices core code including TLS 1.2 or newer support. @YeZ please assist.

Message 2 of 11
User00
Star

@schumaku wrote:
The GS716Tv3, GS724Tv4 and GS748Tv5 line is a little aged - appears Netgear has not cared yet for updating these devices core code including TLS 1.2 or newer support.  @YeZ please assist.

They might be aged, but as of the 2020 Product Catalog - they are still listed.  Seems strange that they would abandon the line - but if the entire product suite can't support secure communications using a protocol that was released back in 2008 - maybe they should.

Message 3 of 11
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@User00,

I suggest you to post your concern as feature request in the Idea Exchange for Business board here.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 11
schumaku
Guru

@DaneA this is not a featue request - much more a standard product maintenance process. Wake-up the product managment please!

Message 5 of 11
User00
Star

If Netgear needs a feature request from the community to even consider implementing TLS 1.2 on their business line of switches, then maybe Netgear is in the wrong business.  Securing communication between client and switch interface should not be an afterthought.

Here's the most recent RFC about the IETF completely deprecating TLS 1.0 and 1.1:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tls-oldversions-deprecate/

... and TLS 1.2 has been around since 2008:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5246

However, while suggesting TLS 1.3 might be appropriate for a feature request, it's only very embarassing for Netgear that their switches only support up to TLS 1.0.

Message 6 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Could be my words - almost convinced Netgear would find the similar text in the email archives several years ago already 8-) 

@User00 wrote:

However, while suggesting TLS 1.3 might be appropriate for a feature request, it's only very embarassing for Netgear that their switches only support up to TLS 1.0.

Gee, many newer Netgear switch model lines support TLS 1.2 for a long time.

Also missing is the ability to create CSR, to upload certificate and private key in a reasonable way.

Message 7 of 11
User00
Star

@DaneA wrote:

@User00,

I suggest you to post your concern as feature request in the Idea Exchange for Business board here.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Done.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Business/TLS-1-3-Support/idi-p/1875122

Message 8 of 11
RickW80
Initiate

I have 4 of the S3300 with the newest available firmware 6.6.4.21. They're less than a year old.  None of them is providing TLS newer than 1.0.  I also consider this a defect in the product.  It's not something we should have to request as a feature to get fixed.

Model: S3300-52X (GS752TX)|ProSafe 48 ports stackable smart switches
Message 9 of 11
User00
Star

From Firefox v83, notice the comment about TLS being permanently disabled....

Netgear_noTLS12.jpg

Message 10 of 11
User00
Star

Well, it took long enough - but FINALLY!!!

v6.3.1.43 now supports TLS 1.2

Image158.jpg

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements