× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Stacking XS708v2 and GS752TPv2

Costin
Aspirant

Stacking XS708v2 and GS752TPv2

Hi everyone,

I had already a 10GB copper switch (XS708Ev2) but it did not have enough ports for the just remodeled office. So I purchased a GS752TPS . My mistake is...probably... that I haven't checked if these two switches are stackable - having them share the same network through the SFP+ connection. I connected the SFP+ plus it does not do anything. I looked into the configuration of both switches but I find no reference to a stack option. 

Am I doing something wrong or indeed these switched cannot be stacked over SFP+?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Cheers!

Costin

Model: XS708Ev2|ProSafe Plus 10G 8 ports switch,GS752TPS(B)|ProSAFE 48-Port Gigabit Stackable Smart Switch with PoE and 4 SFP uplinks
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Hello Costin,

I'm sorry for the confusion, I had my mind more with the stack vs. standalone management while replying. 

With an an SFP+ DAC (direct access cable) between the XS708v2 (SFP+ 1/10 GbE) and GS752TPv2 (SFP GbE only) you won't be able to establish a link - because of SFP+ and SFP does not have any speed negotiation. 

So if you intend to run a 10 GbE with interconnect with SFP+, the GS752TPv2 might not be the ideal choice - lack of an SFP+ port(s). I would look for a GbE switch with 10 GbE/SFP+ ports (for "uplink").

Regards,

-Kurt

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

There is nothing that stops you from connecting these switches using the SFP+ ports - and retain the individually manged switches. While both models are not stackable - why are you so keen for stacking? 

Message 2 of 8
Costin
Aspirant

Hi,

Well, I have a medical office and server stores a lot of xrays and CT (3D) images. Multiple terminals can concurrently request these images. To eliminate a possible bottleneck while the server is delivering these images to multiple clients, I thought of connecting the server and the CT reconstruction PC to the 10Gb switch and over SFP+ deliver data to the terminals which have only 1Gb networking capability. (The Server and the Xrays the Linux-based reconstruction PC have 10Gb network cards).

Would this setup work or could you suggest another configuration? Currently, SFP+ cable plugged in both switches is not recognized as a connection. 

Costin

Message 3 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Hello Costin,

I'm sorry for the confusion, I had my mind more with the stack vs. standalone management while replying. 

With an an SFP+ DAC (direct access cable) between the XS708v2 (SFP+ 1/10 GbE) and GS752TPv2 (SFP GbE only) you won't be able to establish a link - because of SFP+ and SFP does not have any speed negotiation. 

So if you intend to run a 10 GbE with interconnect with SFP+, the GS752TPv2 might not be the ideal choice - lack of an SFP+ port(s). I would look for a GbE switch with 10 GbE/SFP+ ports (for "uplink").

Regards,

-Kurt

Message 4 of 8
Costin
Aspirant

Ohhh I see. So, it was my mistake. I did not realize that SFP and SFP+ are not compatible.  Too late now as the switch is already installed in the rack and most like I cannot exchange it.

Thanks  Kurt!

Costin

Message 5 of 8
schumaku
Guru

With a pair or two inexpensive SFP multimode fiber modules and a multimode patch cable, the set-up of one resp. two GbE (link aggregation) should be feasible. 

Message 6 of 8
Costin
Aspirant

Please forgive my lack of knowledge but I simply do not understand what you just suggested.

The 10Gb switch has one SFP+ port and the Gb switch 4 SFP ports. You suggest I could interconnect those somehow?

Costin

Message 7 of 8
schumaku
Guru

My bad again - I assumed it's a XS708T (knowing there is a XS716Tv2) ... reading there is only one SFP+ port does let me assume it's a XS708Ev2.

Still, a single GbE could be established using SFP multimode modules and a mutimode fiber patch.  Not much I'm afraid.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements