× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Stacking two GS108E switches?

kukrapok
Aspirant

Stacking two GS108E switches?

Hello there!

is it possible to stack two GS108E switches? I have one v2 and one v3, and would like to extend the first one (which is in place) by adding the second one (which has just been bought).

Any hint?

Thanks in advance.

Model: GS108Ev3|ProSAFE 8-port Gigabit Plus Switch
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Stacking two GS108E switches?

@kukrapok,

Stacking means connecting 2-6 compatible switches through their stacking port and when the switches are configured in a stack, it resembles as one switch.  Kindly access and read the articles below to learn more about stacking:

What is stacking, which smart switches support it, and what are the functionalities of stacking?

What is a switch stack, stack master, and stack members and how do they work with my managed switch?

Cascading or daisy-chaining means connecting the switches through any of their ethernet ports to extend the local network.  For example, you connect port 8 (or any port)  of your GS108Ev2 switch to port 8 (or any port) of your GS108Ev3 switch. 

You can daisy chain or cascade a number of NETGEAR switches since there is no limit on it.  However, the good practice would be up to 2-3 switches daisy chained.  Its because the more switch that you daisy chain will add latency on the network.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi kukrapok,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Both GS108Ev2 and GS108Ev3 switches does not support stacking.  However, if ever you are using both switches just like an unmanaged switch, you can cascade the GS108Ev2 to the GS108Ev3 or vice cersa. Furthermore, if the same VLANs are configured on both switches, be sure to tagged the ports connecting the two switches with a PVID of 1.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 5
kukrapok
Aspirant

Thanks for you reply, DaneA!

Ok, now I have to confess, I'm an almost complete newbie to switches configuration. My both devices still have default setup (I only configured the IPs) for fix the local topology (which is a basic small home office). No VLAN setup yet.

For now I don't know the difference between stacking and cascading. If stacking means in parallel then I probably don't have the hardware setup to do this here.

Does cascading means plug in a wire that bounds (say) port 8 on both GS108 devices?

Before I got a second switch, my configuration w/ only one switch was pretty simple. My router machine gets internet box line in, and line out to the switch. On the switch, all devices and a wifi AP are plugged in. Since both 8 ports are busy, I wanted to extend the switch area w/ 8 more (in fact, 7 more, if I substract the bound between both switches). Is that an incorrect expectation?

Message 3 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@kukrapok,

Stacking means connecting 2-6 compatible switches through their stacking port and when the switches are configured in a stack, it resembles as one switch.  Kindly access and read the articles below to learn more about stacking:

What is stacking, which smart switches support it, and what are the functionalities of stacking?

What is a switch stack, stack master, and stack members and how do they work with my managed switch?

Cascading or daisy-chaining means connecting the switches through any of their ethernet ports to extend the local network.  For example, you connect port 8 (or any port)  of your GS108Ev2 switch to port 8 (or any port) of your GS108Ev3 switch. 

You can daisy chain or cascade a number of NETGEAR switches since there is no limit on it.  However, the good practice would be up to 2-3 switches daisy chained.  Its because the more switch that you daisy chain will add latency on the network.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 5
kukrapok
Aspirant

Thanks again, DaneA, I could cascade my two switches and it works. I did an former, unsuccessful attempt, but I think it has failed because I plugged the link between both switches while both switches were ON. Now I turned OFF the secondary switch, bound both devices, turned ON the secondary, plugged some computer in, and all works.

Cheers!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements