× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Switch not communicating traffic

baronobeefdip
Aspirant

Switch not communicating traffic

I just purchased this NETGEAR 48 port gigabit switch, I hooked everything up to it and then I powered the switch on and all the lights that had a connection in it's designated port lit up (some ports lit up amber, which for netgear gigabit switches means it's receiving the data at 100MPS instead of green which indicates it's receiving data at 1000MPS). I saw all theose lights turn on and then I started the desktop computer that was attached to it, The computer attempted to obtain an IP address from the dhcp server that is connected to  the switch but it gave up after a while. It's frustrating seeing that I don't know if this switch is locked down or if it's just plain broken since NETGEARS smart switches don't have a console like CISCO switches do so I can't actively look at the Operating system bootup and see the problems. What should I do here. I have network devices that won't obtain an IP address, even though there is a device that has a DHCP server running on it. Even when I setup all the devices with static IP address on the same subnet that this switch supposedly is set to by default, I still can't connect to the web interface to see what is going on.

I already called the seller and NETGEAR and nobody seems to know what is going on with this thing. The seller claims that it worked when he tried it before he shipped it. Is there maybe a way to display what is going on with the switch when it boots up like a Cisco switch? I feel it might have a corrupted image on it, or something is loose on the inside. I also believe it's supposed to show all the lights on the top illuminate green for a second, then start adding things to it's mac table (assuming), then start handling network traffic.

Model: GS748TS|ProSAFE Gigabit Stackable Smart Switch|EOL
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Switch not communicating traffic

Hi baronobeefdip, 

Most or almost all of our Layer 2 switches does not have a console port, they are very simple switches with additional functions and manageability. We cannot compare it to a fully manageable switch with has multiple ways to be accessed. It is looking like its a defective unit since you are saying that it does not even respond to a factory reset. When a factory reset is initiated, the lights will flash and it will reboot by itself. Second, it is not being detected by the SmartWizard utility. This is why we do not recommend buying a second-hand unit, yes, it may be way lot cheaper but you can never make sure if it still works or not. It may have been sold because it was already defective. The warranty only applies to the original owner so support wouldn't be much of help. If this was my switch, I'd probably try to do a few more factory resets or even hold the factory reset button a little longer. If it still does not respond, I'd say it toast. If you still have contact with the seller, might as well have it returned and get a brand new switch. For corporate environments, it is always a good idea to invest in brand new products that are covered by warranty. 

Thanks,

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello baronobeefdip,

Welcome to the community! 

Can you tell us what is the model number of your switch? For units with 24-48 ports, they use a utility to check and maintain the health of the unit. We'd like to get the status of the lights as well, when a device is plugged in. 

Looking forward to your response. 

Thanks,

Message 2 of 7
baronobeefdip
Aspirant

it is a ProSafe GS748TS with 48 ports. When I plug in the device, the top lights will illuminate when something is plugged into their designated port, when it's a gigbit interface it will light up green, otherwise it will light up amber. So the lights illuminate and stay solid, they don't blink at all. Also upon initial startup, all the lights on the top don't light up at the same time for 1 second like I have seen on youtube videos. As for the rest of the front lights, the digit on the left stays at 0, and the power indicator light is illuminated, the other lights on the right hand side of the front panel don't light up and the interface indicator lights don't blink to show activity. I did at some point leave it running for like 5 minutes with all the stuff plugged in and there was still no functionality. I have also pressed the factory reset button on the right hand side of the front panel for 3 seconds, I didn't see anything happen, when I pressed down the reset button on the left, the digit turned into an 8 and then the lights on the top panel lit up again like before, only the ones with a cord plugged into it.

Message 3 of 7
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi baronobeefdip, 

The factory reset button needs to be held for 10 seconds to initiate. We can try it again and see if the factory reset will fix the issue. I also suggest to install the latest version of the SmartWizard Utility, this will help you access the interface of the switch and monitor its performance. 

Let us know if this helps. 

Thanks,

Message 4 of 7
baronobeefdip
Aspirant

Nope nothing, I held down the factory reset button for 10 seconds (counted it myself), then attempted to try to get the switch to associate with the DHCP server, but I couldn't since I also tried to get an IP address for a computer through the switch, it just hung there until it eventually gave up. Next I tried to do away with the DHCP stuff so I repeated the process, statically set my computer with the address 192.168.0.12 and the netmask 255.255.255.0, then I went to the smart wizard utility to see if it could find the switch, It didn't so at this point when I was doing it on my own, I had already exhausted all of the troubleshooting methods and other resources for help but to no avail, I don't know what else could be causing this other than a defective switch. What do you think is the problem, we have already gone through all of the things that I have tried prior to posting here, I have been doing it as I go along with you in the thread to see if I had made any mistakes along the way, but at this point, the switch still isn't working. What else do you recommend I do? Also what is supposed to happen when I hold down the factory reset button for 10 seconds, I saw nothing happen but I was assuming that all the lights above the interfaces will light up like I have seen in videos but even when you turn the switch on, that doesn't happen. Do you have any more ideas?

I might have an idea of what might be wrong (Other than a bad capacitor which is what this behavior usually indicates), In some instances where I have read these same issues, it could be either a bad capacitor, or that the software on the switch is faulty, As you know the firmware for the switch is a free download, but there is one major problem. How am I supposed to install the software if I don't have any networking or console access to the switch? NETGEAR hasn't built in any kind of interface other than the web server that is supposed to display only when the switch is working optimally. I want to be sure that there is a way to install the firmware on the switch without access to it's web interface and when the discovery utility tool isn't finding it. This is my last and only idea of why this switch isn't fucntioning. I clearly can't send it to NETGEAR for repairs because the warranty is expired. Before I open up it's case, is this a possibility? And if so, how to do I figure out that it's the case and if so, how do I fix it? Once I have established that there is no possible way of fixing this switch, I guess it's only good for throwing in the garbage.

Message 5 of 7
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi baronobeefdip, 

Most or almost all of our Layer 2 switches does not have a console port, they are very simple switches with additional functions and manageability. We cannot compare it to a fully manageable switch with has multiple ways to be accessed. It is looking like its a defective unit since you are saying that it does not even respond to a factory reset. When a factory reset is initiated, the lights will flash and it will reboot by itself. Second, it is not being detected by the SmartWizard utility. This is why we do not recommend buying a second-hand unit, yes, it may be way lot cheaper but you can never make sure if it still works or not. It may have been sold because it was already defective. The warranty only applies to the original owner so support wouldn't be much of help. If this was my switch, I'd probably try to do a few more factory resets or even hold the factory reset button a little longer. If it still does not respond, I'd say it toast. If you still have contact with the seller, might as well have it returned and get a brand new switch. For corporate environments, it is always a good idea to invest in brand new products that are covered by warranty. 

Thanks,

Message 6 of 7
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi baronobeefdip, 

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.
If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Thanks,

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements