× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Switch will not provide 1gig throughput from cable modem

dovertur
Aspirant

Switch will not provide 1gig throughput from cable modem

I have a GS752TP switch.  When I plug the cable modem into the switch it performs up to about 500mb for throughput to my server.  When I plug the server directly into the cable modem I get 980+ mb throughput.  Cannot figure out why the switch will not deliver the same throughput as the cable modem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thx,

Dave

Model: GS752TPv2|48-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE+ Smart Managed Pro Switch with 4 SFP Ports (380W)
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Switch will not provide 1gig throughput from cable modem

@dovertur,

That's great! It seems that the other devices are eating up your bandwidth. Please close the thread by clicking the "Accept as solution".

Thank you!

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi dovertur,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

It seems that you are having issues with the bandwidth once the switch is connected. How many devices are connected to the switch while testing? Are you using the same cable? Please try to update the firmware to its latest version and you may download it here.

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 6
dovertur
Aspirant

John,

First of all, thank you for the quick response and guidance.  I have updated the firmware from .24 to .29 however, there is no improvement on speed based on that update.

As far as devices hooked to the switch, these devices are as follows:

1.  5  Unifii ac pro access points (gig network interface)

2.  Windows 10 Computer (gig network interface)

3.  11 Hickvision IP cameras (100mb interfaces)

4.  Apple TV x6

5.  Various TVs & streaming devices qty 10 or so through wireless connectivity ( These are not only used at once)

Also, just for additional information:

Cable Modem is NETGEAR Cable Modem CM600 that then goes through a Ubiquiti Unifi Security Gateway.  The switch is then plugged into the USG.  Also, again, when I plug into either of these devices vice my switch my throughput is 900mb+

Thanks again,

Dave

Model: GS752TPv2|48-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE+ Smart Managed Pro Switch with 4 SFP Ports (380W)
Message 3 of 6
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@dovertur,

Thank you for that information. It seems that there is a lot of devices connected to the switch. Have you tried to test by connecting only the computer to the switch? What is the tool that you are using for testing? Please try resetting the switch to factory default.

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 6
dovertur
Aspirant

John,

What I have learned is that my IP cameras are eating up all the capacity of the switch.  I have it from here, thanks for your help to guide me in the right direction.

Dave

Message 5 of 6
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@dovertur,

That's great! It seems that the other devices are eating up your bandwidth. Please close the thread by clicking the "Accept as solution".

Thank you!

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements