× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Switching from Cisco SG200 to GS724T, Need help on Trunk, Access mode equellent in NetGear

SubX
Aspirant

Switching from Cisco SG200 to GS724T, Need help on Trunk, Access mode equellent in NetGear

Switching from Cisco world to NetGear. Need help on some of the basic

In Cisco I have the following 3 types of port/VLAN mapping, how should I have a similar setup in NetGear?

1 -  Port1 (Trunk port) - 8T,18T,88T,100T, 1U (PVID = 1) 

2 - Port 6 (Access port) - 88U (PVID = 88)

3 - Port 8 (Trunk Port) - 1U (PVID=1)

NetGrear term

Admit All - does it mean Trunk Port in Cisco term

VLAN only - does it mean Trunk Port in Cisco term and only tagged VLAN allowed?

how to setup Access port (Cisco term) in NetGear?

Thanks a lot!

Sub

Model: GS724Tv3|24-port ProSAFE Gigabit Smart Switch
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Hopchen
Prodigy

Re: Switching from Cisco SG200 to GS724T, Need help on Trunk, Access mode equellent in NetGear

Hi @SubX

In order to make an access port on a Netgear switch, you untag (U) that VLAN and set a PVID on the port.
In order to Trunk a VLAN, you tag that VLAN (T) on the port.

Example:
I want port 1 to be an access port for VLAN 10
I want port 2 to be an access port for VLAN 20
I want port 24 to be the uplink and trunk both VLANs across to the next switch/router

Config:
Port 1 = Untag (U) for VLAN 10 and set PVID of 10.
Port 2 = Untag (U) for VLAN 20 and set PVID of 20.
Port 24 = Tag (T) for both VLAN 10 and 20.

Your questions about Acceptable Frame Types (Admit all/VLAN only) refers to whether the switch should only you accept frames with a VLAN tag on or accept all frames. You don't need to worry too much about this, unless you have a specific need/security requirement. Leave it at Admit all and you'll generally be fine.

Here is an article that might be helpful.
https://kb.netgear.com/11673/How-do-I-setup-a-VLAN-trunk-link-between-two-NETGEAR-switches

Cheers

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
Hopchen
Prodigy

Hi @SubX

In order to make an access port on a Netgear switch, you untag (U) that VLAN and set a PVID on the port.
In order to Trunk a VLAN, you tag that VLAN (T) on the port.

Example:
I want port 1 to be an access port for VLAN 10
I want port 2 to be an access port for VLAN 20
I want port 24 to be the uplink and trunk both VLANs across to the next switch/router

Config:
Port 1 = Untag (U) for VLAN 10 and set PVID of 10.
Port 2 = Untag (U) for VLAN 20 and set PVID of 20.
Port 24 = Tag (T) for both VLAN 10 and 20.

Your questions about Acceptable Frame Types (Admit all/VLAN only) refers to whether the switch should only you accept frames with a VLAN tag on or accept all frames. You don't need to worry too much about this, unless you have a specific need/security requirement. Leave it at Admit all and you'll generally be fine.

Here is an article that might be helpful.
https://kb.netgear.com/11673/How-do-I-setup-a-VLAN-trunk-link-between-two-NETGEAR-switches

Cheers

Message 2 of 5
SubX
Aspirant

Thanks for a detail and structural response. 

With your help, I got it working.

Cheers,

Sub

Message 3 of 5
Hopchen
Prodigy

Hi again,

No problem at all. Happy to help.

It is worth mentioning that this way of managing your VLAN config is referred to as "General Mode". On Netgear fully managed switches, you also have the option to configure VLANs via the Access/Trunk Mode (as you are used to). It all accomplishes the same result, but it's a preference on which mode people want to use. On smart switches (such as the one you have), you only have the "General Mode" way of configuring the VLANs.

Cheers!

Message 4 of 5
SubX
Aspirant

Good to know. 

Thanks,

Sub

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements