× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Trouble with Computers connected through Phones on GS728TP

Citizen0135
Aspirant

Trouble with Computers connected through Phones on GS728TP

I have a site that has upgraded to fiber internet with hosted voice. The service provider has VLANS 10 (data) and 20 (voice) configured on their router. The computers at the site will be connecting back to the switch through the second port on the phones. I've managed to get VLAN 10 DHCP passed to the computers, but have been unsuccessful in getting the phones to pickup DHCP from VLAN20. Port 18 connects to the ISP's router and is tagged for both VLANS. I have one of the phones connected to port 20 and my laptop connected through the phone for testing. I have tried different comninations of tagged and untagged for port 20. Seems the only way to get VLAN 20 DHCP across the port is to set the VLID to 20, which results in the computer pulling its IP from VLAN20 DHCP as well.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Model: GS728TPS(B)|ProSAFE 24-Port Gigabit Stackable Smart Switch with PoE and 4 SFP uplinks
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Citizen0135
Aspirant

Re: Trouble with Computers connected through Phones on GS728TP

I figured it out. The ISP did not fully configure the phones. They should have specified the VLID in the device once I did this the traffic started passing properly

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Citizen0135,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

I would like to know the VLANs that will be used for data and voice? Do you mean VLAN 10 and 20 are for data VLAN? How about for the voice VLAN? Basically, if you wanted to pass the data traffic to your PC, you may just need to assign the PVID to their corresponding DHCP server.

Example:

VLAN 10 - Office 1

VLAN 20 - Office 2

VLAN 99 - Voice

VLAN membership:

VLAN 99 - Port 1 - T

VLAN 99 - Port 2 - T

VLAN 10 - Port 1 - U

VLAN 10 - Port 2 - U

PVID Configuration (where you wanted it to have a DHCP request for your PC):

Port 1 - PVID 10

Port 2 - PVID 20

On this setup, port 1 will receive an IP from DHCP server of VLAN 10 and port 2 will be receiving from VLAN 20 as it was assigned to their corresponding VLAN.

May the solution help you. 🙂

Regards,

Message 2 of 3
Citizen0135
Aspirant

I figured it out. The ISP did not fully configure the phones. They should have specified the VLID in the device once I did this the traffic started passing properly
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements