× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unable to Factory Reset GS108Ev3

eth
Tutor
Tutor

Unable to Factory Reset GS108Ev3

As the title says, I'm having trouble doing a factory reset on my switch. The goal of this is to regain access to the prosafe management utility, as the previous password was apparently lost. When I push the factory reset button with a paper clip the activity lights on the two active ports turn off after ~2 seconds. Then after another ~3 seconds they come back on as if nothing happened. I've tried holding the button for the 2-3 seconds as suggested in the manual, but when I release the button the ports come back instantly and I'm still unable to get into the prosafe utility with the default password of 'password'. 

I've tried holding the button for times ranging from 2 seconds to 60 seconds and nothing seems to change. I've also tried cutting the power to the device after holding the button for 30 seconds and then holding for another 30 seconds after power is cut, this hasn't changed anything either.

Am I missing something obvious here?

Model: GS108Ev3|ProSAFE 8-port Gigabit Plus Switch
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
eth
Tutor
Tutor

Replying to this for anybody that might find this in Google searches. The problem here was my Prosafe Utility version. The switch actually reset just fine, but the utility was messing up. I was able to get into the switch by grabbing the IP for the switch located in the Prosafe Utility and simply hitting it in my browser. Once I did that the default password (password) worked just fine. I ended up getting the Prosafe Utility working properly by upgrading to the most recent version. In my case I went 2.2.14 -> 2.3.20. Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello eth, 

Welcome to the community! 

It appears that you have already exhausted all the steps for restoring the switch to factory default. When the switch is turned on, what's the status of the LED's? 

Thanks,

Message 2 of 6
eth
Tutor
Tutor

Hi John,

The power LED stays green the entire time. The indicator LEDS on the ports turn off and then come back after ~3 seconds regardless of how long I hold the factory reset button.
Message 3 of 6
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi eth, 

Can you please PM me the serial number of your unit? This model has lifetime warranty so if it does not respond to a factory reset, you can opt for a replacement. 

Thanks,

Message 4 of 6
eth
Tutor
Tutor

Replying to this for anybody that might find this in Google searches. The problem here was my Prosafe Utility version. The switch actually reset just fine, but the utility was messing up. I was able to get into the switch by grabbing the IP for the switch located in the Prosafe Utility and simply hitting it in my browser. Once I did that the default password (password) worked just fine. I ended up getting the Prosafe Utility working properly by upgrading to the most recent version. In my case I went 2.2.14 -> 2.3.20. Hope this helps!

Message 5 of 6
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi eth, 

I suggest marking your post above as "Accepted Solution". This will increase its searchability and will reach more users. 

Thank you for the update. 🙂

Thanks,

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements