× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to connect to GS724T Gigabit Smart Switch.

Muldoonsghost
Aspirant

Unable to connect to GS724T Gigabit Smart Switch.

Good morning.

I'm in the UK and have just installed a small home network. I now have a 6u cabinet in my loft serving 16 ports throughout the house. All 16 cables are tested and connecting properly. I have purchased a GS724T Gigabit Smart Switch used as recommended by a friend.

The switch is installed and powered on. I have done a factory reset on it several times. It is connected currently to a port in the patch panel, through to my old Tenda 8 port dumb switch which will be removed once I have the GS running. The GS724T Gigabit Smart Switch shows a solid green light on the port (1) that is connected to the patch panel. From there it can get access to the DHCP server on my existing Netgear R6220 router. The router does not show this MAC address on the list of connected devices. My Windows 10 (fully updated) PC is also connected to the Tenda at the moment as is my son's PC, my wifes laptop via Wifi, a laser printer and a few smartphones.

On my PC I have installed the Smart Contrrol Centre. It shows the GS724T Gigabit Smart Switch as connected with it's Mac address and the default IP address. I have tried to connect to the switch using Chrome and Internet Explorer and I get the message "192.168.0.239 took too long to respond." I cannot ping the switch, all four packets time out. I have tried disabling Windows defender. I have no other anti virus software.

Smart Control Centre says there is a subnet discrepency, however both the 'device' (my pc?) and the switch have the same mask. Please see the attached screencap.

So, after that wall of text, can you advise me on my next step to match the subnets and enable connection to the switch and remote management? I'm leaving for work and will be back this evening.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Unable to connect to GS724T Gigabit Smart Switch.

HI @Muldoonsghost,

Welcome to the community! Smiley Happy 

Since the GS724T switch is still in its default IP address which is 192.168.0.239 and at the same time connected to the existing network where your Windows 10 PC is also connected, you need to set a static IP Address on your Windows 10 PC that is within the IP range of your existing network in order for you to assign another IP address that is within the IP range of the default IP address of the GS724T switch. 

Here are the steps below: 

A. Set a static IP Address on your Windows 10 PC that is within the IP range of your existing network.

1. On your Windows 10 PC, click on the Start button and choose Settings.

2. Click on Network & Internet.

3. Click on Ethernet then click on Change adapter options. Select Ethernet, click the right mouse button and choose Properties.

4. Click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), and then click Properties.

5. Select Use the following IP Address.  Then, enter the corresponding the LAN IP address, Subnet Mask and Default Gateway.  From the image you have attached, it shows that the current LAN IP address of your Windows 10 PC is 192.168.1.14.  On the LAN IP Address field, enter 192.168.1.14, the Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0 and the Default Gateway must be the LAN IP address of your existing router. 

6. Select Use the following DNS Server addresses.  For the Preferred & Alternate DNS Server, enter 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 respectively.  

7. Click the Ok button. 

B. Assign another IP address on the Windows 10 PC that is within the IP range of the default IP address of the GS724T switch.

1. Still on your Windows 10 PC, click on the Start button and choose Settings.

3. Click on Ethernet then click on Change adapter options. Select Ethernet, click the right mouse button and choose Properties.

5. Click the Advanced button.  The Advanced TCP/IP Settings window will appear.  

6. On the IP Address section, click the Add button.  Since the default IP address of the GS724T switch is 192.168.0.239, kindly enter 192.168.0.210 in the IP Address field and 255.255.255.0 in the Subnet Mask field.

7. Click the Add button.8. Click the Ok button on the Advanced TCP/IP Settings window.  Then, click the Ok button on the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Properties window.  You may close other windows. 

C. Test the connectivity.

Note:  Now that you have assigned multiple LAN IP addresses on your Windows 10 PC, you should be able to access both the GS724T switch and your local network.  

1. Open command prompt on your Windows 10 PC.

2. Check if you can get replies if you ping the default IP address of the GS724T switch which 192.168.0.239.  You should be able to get replies which means its accessible. 

3. Check if you can get replies if you ping the Default Gateway which is the LAN IP address of your existing router.  You should be able to get replies which means its accessible. 

As reference, you can watch the video tutorial here on how to setup an additional IP address in Windows 10.  

D. Change the IP Address of the GS724T switch.

1. On your Windows 10 PC, open a browser like Google Chrome or Firefox then at the address bar of it, type 192.168.0.239 then press Enter. Login to the user interface of switch. Enter "admin" and "password" as the username and password respectively without the quotation marks. 

2. On the web-GUI, go to System > Management > IP Configuration then choose Static IP Address.  

3. Fill-up the required fields (IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway) that corresponds to the LAN IP range of your existing network.

4. Click Apply to save the changes. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
Muldoonsghost
Aspirant

I am so dumb. I have just seen the '0' and '1' in the IP addresses. However how can I get the address on the switch changed without changing the address of the PC? Must research this tonight but can anyone point me to a resource before then? (Hangs head in shame).

Message 2 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

HI @Muldoonsghost,

Welcome to the community! Smiley Happy 

Since the GS724T switch is still in its default IP address which is 192.168.0.239 and at the same time connected to the existing network where your Windows 10 PC is also connected, you need to set a static IP Address on your Windows 10 PC that is within the IP range of your existing network in order for you to assign another IP address that is within the IP range of the default IP address of the GS724T switch. 

Here are the steps below: 

A. Set a static IP Address on your Windows 10 PC that is within the IP range of your existing network.

1. On your Windows 10 PC, click on the Start button and choose Settings.

5. Select Use the following IP Address.  Then, enter the corresponding the LAN IP address, Subnet Mask and Default Gateway.  From the image you have attached, it shows that the current LAN IP address of your Windows 10 PC is 192.168.1.14.  On the LAN IP Address field, enter 192.168.1.14, the Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0 and the Default Gateway must be the LAN IP address of your existing router. 

6. Select Use the following DNS Server addresses.  For the Preferred & Alternate DNS Server, enter 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 respectively.  

7. Click the Ok button. 

B. Assign another IP address on the Windows 10 PC that is within the IP range of the default IP address of the GS724T switch.

1. Still on your Windows 10 PC, click on the Start button and choose Settings.

5. Click the Advanced button.  The Advanced TCP/IP Settings window will appear.  

6. On the IP Address section, click the Add button.  Since the default IP address of the GS724T switch is 192.168.0.239, kindly enter 192.168.0.210 in the IP Address field and 255.255.255.0 in the Subnet Mask field.

7. Click the Add button.8. Click the Ok button on the Advanced TCP/IP Settings window.  Then, click the Ok button on the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Properties window.  You may close other windows. 

C. Test the connectivity.

Note:  Now that you have assigned multiple LAN IP addresses on your Windows 10 PC, you should be able to access both the GS724T switch and your local network.  

1. Open command prompt on your Windows 10 PC.

2. Check if you can get replies if you ping the default IP address of the GS724T switch which 192.168.0.239.  You should be able to get replies which means its accessible. 

3. Check if you can get replies if you ping the Default Gateway which is the LAN IP address of your existing router.  You should be able to get replies which means its accessible. 

As reference, you can watch the video tutorial here on how to setup an additional IP address in Windows 10.  

D. Change the IP Address of the GS724T switch.

1. On your Windows 10 PC, open a browser like Google Chrome or Firefox then at the address bar of it, type 192.168.0.239 then press Enter. Login to the user interface of switch. Enter "admin" and "password" as the username and password respectively without the quotation marks. 

2. On the web-GUI, go to System > Management > IP Configuration then choose Static IP Address.  

3. Fill-up the required fields (IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway) that corresponds to the LAN IP range of your existing network.

4. Click Apply to save the changes. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 5
Muldoonsghost
Aspirant

Evening.

Just a quick response to say that I now have access. Thanks for the in depth reply, I didn't know one could have many IP's on a device.

Message 4 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Muldoonsghost,

Thanks for the update.  I'm glad that you now have access to the GS724T switch. 🙂 

Since your concern has been resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Cheers,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements