× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

VLAN setup on an IP phone passthrough port

spookz
Aspirant

VLAN setup on an IP phone passthrough port

Hi All,

I am attempting to setup 2 VLANs, one carry VoIP traffic and the other to carry data.  My challenge is each workstation only has 1 ethernet drop, so I am going to need to use the passthrough port on the phones to the computer (ie. [Netgear JGS516PE] <--- Mitel Phone <--- Computer) and I'm wondering if there is a way to have the switch be able to properly segregate the traffic.  My understanding is that the phones can tag their own traffic, but obviously the computers cannot.  Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Model: JGS516PE|ProSafe Plus 16 ports switch with PoE
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Nodism1125
NETGEAR Expert

Re: VLAN setup on an IP phone passthrough port

Hi Spookz, 

We have default VLAN 1 port Data Traffic. Since you will connect the PC behind VOIP phone, we need to create a second VLAN and tagged all ports for Voice VLAN and VLAN 1 (DATA) should be all untagged ports. 

Example: VLAN 1 (data) and VLAN 2 (Voice)

Advanced 802.1Q VLAN should be set as "Enable". 

Mitel Phone,  please configure the VLAN ID to "2" instead of default. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

You run the VoIP VLAN traffic tagged, the data VLAN untagged.

Message 2 of 6
spookz
Aspirant

Thank you for the info. On the ports carrying these types of traffic, do I flag them as tagged or untagged on the switch?
Message 3 of 6
Nodism1125
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Spookz, 

We have default VLAN 1 port Data Traffic. Since you will connect the PC behind VOIP phone, we need to create a second VLAN and tagged all ports for Voice VLAN and VLAN 1 (DATA) should be all untagged ports. 

Example: VLAN 1 (data) and VLAN 2 (Voice)

Advanced 802.1Q VLAN should be set as "Enable". 

Mitel Phone,  please configure the VLAN ID to "2" instead of default. 

Message 4 of 6
spookz
Aspirant

Got it, I appreciate the clarification.  If I set all the ports to untagged and have the phone tag traffic for VLAN2 (as in your example), I can then setup the router to handle VLAN2 traffic on the port coming from the switch accordingly (DHCP, QoS, etc.), correct?

Thanks again, I'm sure these are basic questions I have just not done this previously.

Message 5 of 6
Nodism1125
NETGEAR Expert

Correct. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements