× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

VLAN tags

hacesoft
Tutor

VLAN tags

Hi,

have a nice day,
can I ask how do I set the packet tagging in the VLAN on the switch? I have AcessPoint where I have two SSDIs. This AcessPoint is connected to port P1, which is part of VLAN11. The Vlan11 port is set as tagged. I set the second SSID in AcessPoint to VLAN30. When I switch my mobile to an SSID that points to VLAN11, the net works for me. When I switch my mobile phone to the SSID that is supposed to point to VLAN30, nothing happens on my mobile phone, the net doesn't work, I guess I have it set incorrectly.

Thank you very much.

image.png

Model: GS724Tv4|ProSafe 24 ports Gigabit Smart switch
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
hacesoft
Tutor

Re: VLAN tags

Hi,
it finally works for me :). There were two errors in the whole configuration. One on the netgear switch. From this video, I understood how to make a TRUNK port on a NETGEAR switch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKpYQ2SinuM

and in the Static MAC Address setting on the switch, I forgot to assign the MAC address to the correct VLAN.
The error on the UniFi side was that in the WIFI settings it is necessary to set the tagging of VLANs in two places as in the driver on the PC. So also in the mobile application on my mobile ...

I don't understand what a mistake they have. But and only after I set up the same VLAN in both places, it started to work :).

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Well, we can assume the SSID is mapped to the VLAN ID 30, does work with a tagged trunk, and the switch ports are also configured for the VLAN ID 30 tagged. Comes the question if that VLAN 30 does have the environment like a dedicated IP subnet, a DHCP server, and a workable gateway on a router.
Message 2 of 4
hacesoft
Tutor

hi,
I have no idea if it's well set up on AP. I only have APcko for a few days, I bought a UniFi AP AC LR. I found excellent reviews for him on the Net. And I can already confirm that I have a really great reach. A whole house and a piece of garden will cover me. Only its configurability didn't bother them much. So I don't know if I have a well-configured AP. I don't know if I have a well set NETGEAR GS724T switch. To make tagged VLANs work on it. One computer is connected to VLAN30 and the internet works on it, so I don't know if it is necessary to set something else on the router for tagged VLANs. I don't think so. In my opinion, in APck I set that this SSDI should go to VLAN11 and the data from this SSDI should go to VLAN30 and everything is sent to the switch via one wire and the already marked packets are inserted on the appropriate VLAN and the packets go exactly the same as if they were untagged ... At least that's how I think it works. So if I have a PC on VLAN30 and the Internet runs on it and I send one packet to VLAN11 on the AP (there I have the Internet) and other packers from another SSID on VLAN30 and there the Internet does not run on that SSID. I also tried to turn off the ACL rules, and I also added the MAC address of the AP to the tagged port, I don't know if VLAN30 must have at least one port tagged or not, I don't know if at least one port must contain the MAC address of the device that inserts tagged packers on VLAN .... I'm swimming in it yet ... However, I don't have much time to try it, now the season is planting ingredients, so I work in the garden ...

However, thank you very much for any information that will help me solve my problem ...

Message 3 of 4
hacesoft
Tutor

Hi,
it finally works for me :). There were two errors in the whole configuration. One on the netgear switch. From this video, I understood how to make a TRUNK port on a NETGEAR switch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKpYQ2SinuM

and in the Static MAC Address setting on the switch, I forgot to assign the MAC address to the correct VLAN.
The error on the UniFi side was that in the WIFI settings it is necessary to set the tagging of VLANs in two places as in the driver on the PC. So also in the mobile application on my mobile ...

I don't understand what a mistake they have. But and only after I set up the same VLAN in both places, it started to work :).

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements