× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

VLANS over multiple switches

sodonnell
Aspirant

VLANS over multiple switches

Hi,

I need a little advice regarding VLANs across multiple switches. 

I am having issues getting vlans to work, probably because i am not fully understanding how these switches are managing and setting up the trunks incorrectly. 

I have 3 GS108Ev2 in different areas of my property. 2 of these connect back to the primary switch, this primary switch then connects to my main router. ie Switches 2 and 3 connect from their port 1 back to switch 1 in ports 2 and 3. Port 1 of Switch one is connected to my router.

I want to set up a vlan for my everyday personal devices, then 2 further vlans for work devices. I want these vlans to be able to talk to the other devices on the same vlans but in different rooms on different switches and i also want everything to have access to the internet. 

I have set the trunk ports on each switch to "T" and made them a member of of each vlan. all other ports are set to their relevant vlans and set as "U". I have set the pvID's for the devices to the relevant vlans and left the pvids for the trunk ports as 1. 

However, i loose Internet activity for all devices when i do this. I have to switch back to vlan 1 to work again. 

I have added a sketch to hopefully make clearer what i have done. 

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks for reading. 

Model: GS108Ev3|ProSAFE 8-port Gigabit Plus Switch
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: VLANS over multiple switches

Keep all VLAN tagged on the trunks - which are the connections between the switch.

Does your router support tagged VLANs, and are these and the related TCP/IP subnetworks with dedicated network addresses, DHCP, many2one NAT to the router public IP addresses  ... for the four VLANs? Only this would allow Internet access for all the four VLANs.

In case this is a common consumer/SOHO/ISP provided router, these don't support any VLAN, so this connection resp, the port must be run untagged (ie. for the VLAN 1, PVID 1).

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
sodonnell
Aspirant

update- I have untagged vlan 1 on all trunk ports but i still cannot ping the router from any VLAN after this change.  

Model: GS108Ev3|ProSAFE 8-port Gigabit Plus Switch
Message 2 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Keep all VLAN tagged on the trunks - which are the connections between the switch.

Does your router support tagged VLANs, and are these and the related TCP/IP subnetworks with dedicated network addresses, DHCP, many2one NAT to the router public IP addresses  ... for the four VLANs? Only this would allow Internet access for all the four VLANs.

In case this is a common consumer/SOHO/ISP provided router, these don't support any VLAN, so this connection resp, the port must be run untagged (ie. for the VLAN 1, PVID 1).

Message 3 of 5
sodonnell
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply. 

I missunderstood how the tagging was working, i presumed the tagging was stripped at the trunkport to the router. My current router does not support 802.1q (Asus ac66u).

I have been looking at the options for changing the router. As netgear have ended support for their smb routers, i have been looking at either a Linksiys lrt214 or or a ubiquity Edge router 6.

Any advice on router choice that support 802.1q vlan tagging would be very much appreciated. 

Message 4 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Netgear has (or is about) to launch the Insight Routers starting with the BR500 model. They state supporting VLAN to various extents and even some more complex use case. As probably nobody here in the community has seen and touched the device, it's digging in the dark on what can be configured now when it comes to the support of multiple VLAN, multiple subnet, and the many2one NAT capabilities. @johngm it would be great having an opportunity to get our hands on an Insight Router BR500 - just based on the marketing material we can't help other community members and prospect customers. And yes, I became a big fan of Netgear's Insight management environment.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements