× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Vlan trunking using vlan tagging

GavinYap
Aspirant

Vlan trunking using vlan tagging

Hi ,

Refering to the attached image, I have a setup of 2 switches whereby they are join together by vlan tagging of 21,22,52&53.

I have 2 GWs, GW1 and GW3 respectively which is also connected to switch by Vlan tagging of the same.

The goal is that GW1 and GW3 can talk across 2 switches. 

My problem is this doesn't work. 

When I port mirror at either switch, I can see the arp request from the opposite site. For example, if I were to ping 10.255.255.1 to 10.255.255.2, I could observed the ingress arp request from  10.255.255.1 requesting 10.255.255.2, on the vlan trunk link. but it just doesn't propagate to the vlan 52 ports, either to the ISP GW or the GW1.

If I replace the vlan trunk link with a machine configure the same IP as GW3 with vlan tagging of 52, pinging works.

Why does this is so and how can I make this to work?

Model: GS724Tv4|ProSafe 24 ports Gigabit Smart switch
Message 1 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Vlan trunking using vlan tagging

@GavinYap

Just want to verify, is there a default route configured for both GW1 and GW3?  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 6
GavinYap
Aspirant

Hi DaneA, 

There is default route configure for GW3 but not GW1.

Default route does not play a role here since both gateways are having 10.255.255.0/30 
there .1 is on GW3 and .2 is ont GW3,
As it is on the same network no routing is require. Thus the purpose of vlan trunking is to make both switches to be the same L2 network for vlan 52.

Message 3 of 6
native_vlan
Aspirant

this seems to be related to my problem.  Im not seeing how to get traffic out of a switch on a vlan to out the trunk to the rest of the network. 

Message 4 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@native_vlan wrote:

Im not seeing how to get traffic out of a switch on a vlan to out the trunk to the rest of the network. 

For trunk connections (direct single port, or LAG) you run an 802.1q VLAN mode, and tag all VLANs on this trunk connection. Same settings are required on both switches (for LAG and VLANs)

Message 5 of 6
P_Gala
Aspirant

You must create a "dummy" vlan numbered from the one that you want to interconnect using the IP and Subnet of the switch you want to connect at the settings.

Then you can tag with the vlans at the port you want to use and trunk.

This is how I got it work. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements