× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

VoIP Phone has a connection, but phone does not work

JeffAtK2
Guide

VoIP Phone has a connection, but phone does not work

Hi All,

I'm upgrading to new switches and trying to get voip and data vlans working so users can plug computers into backs of phones. Working with a GS752TPv2.

• Data is vlan 1 (default).
  • Voice is vlan 20.

I'd like it set up so phone vlan 20 can connect to the gateway through port 47, and data through a SFP LAG to my LAN. Port 48 I'm leaving untouched in case I mess something up I can still plug into the thing.

I'm trying to use VLANs to have the switch split the phone off into one port on my gateway, and the data to the LAN (gateway is a Sophos UTM so only sort-of does VLANs, so I'm running my data and my phone into two separate ports on it, hence the untagged port 47 below).

• Data works fine. I plug into the back of the phone and I can get to my LAN.
  • Voice is another story. The phone boots. I get a screen. But no dial tones and cannot call it, also buttons do not work. (Yes, I tested the phone in my old switch and it works.) Below is more detail on my setup
  • VLAN 20 is on ports 1-46, tagged.
  • VLAN 20 is on port 47, untagged.
  • VLAN 1 is on all ports, untagged, except port 47; it's not on there at all.
  • Port PVID is 20 on port 47, 1 on all others.
  • Voice VLAN Config set to VLAN 20 for ports 1-46.
  • Auto-VoIP enabled on ports 1-46, and port 47: protocol-based, class 7.
  • VLAN 20 Routing is set to an address I set aside in my voice network.

Not sure it matters, but the Phone (avaya 9608) just happens to be plugged into port 2 on the switch. I tried other ports without succcess. VLAN set to 20 on the phone.

Anone seeing what I'm not? Let me know if more info will help; I'm not sure what else would be relavant.

Thanks!

Jeff

Model: GS752TPv2|48-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE+ Smart Managed Pro Switch with 4 SFP Ports (380W)
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
JeffAtK2
Guide

Re: VoIP Phone has a connection, but phone does not work

For anyone who stumbles on this, I found my mistake.

The phone has only 1 IP address. When I tried to split off VLAN 20 to go out port 47, I wouldn't work because port 47 connected to the gateway at a different subnet than the phone was on (our current setup has phones and computers on completely separate networks). I wanted to let people plug data in through the phones so it had to be on the data LAN.

Once I changed my firewall rules to allow the plethora of ports used by my phone company to talk to my data lan as well as my phone lan, it worked!

I now have auto-voip set up. I'm still baffled about how this works with Phone VLAN, or if it even does. I think the auto-voip sees phone traffic and priorizes it appropriately. Not sure how to test I have it set up right other than plug a bunch of phones in and get them all on a conference call while transfering data through the switch. I did this with two deskphones, a polycom style speaker phone, and my cell phone dialed in, and it sounded fine.

Fingers crossed for my deployment next month.

Thanks,

Jeff

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@JeffAtK2,

• Data works fine. I plug into the back of the phone and I can get to my LAN.
  • Voice is another story. The phone boots. I get a screen. But no dial tones and cannot call it, also buttons do not work. (Yes, I tested the phone in my old switch and it works.) Below is more detail on my setup
  • VLAN 20 is on ports 1-46, tagged.
  • VLAN 20 is on port 47, untagged.
  • VLAN 1 is on all ports, untagged, except port 47; it's not on there at all.
  • Port PVID is 20 on port 47, 1 on all others.
  • Voice VLAN Config set to VLAN 20 for ports 1-46.
  • Auto-VoIP enabled on ports 1-46, and port 47: protocol-based, class 7.
  • VLAN 20 Routing is set to an address I set aside in my voice network.

I'm really curious why the port 47 is Untagged on VLAN 20 and assign to PVID 20. Is this your uplink? If this is your uplink, it should be Tagged and assigned as PVID 1. I'm only assuming that this is your uplink and this is why only the data traffic is passing thru because only Untagged traffic is assigned.

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
JeffAtK2
Guide

Hi John,

I don't want data (vlan 1) going out port 47 at all. Only phone traffic should use that.  Data goes out a LAG on SFP 51-52. I tried vlan 20 tagged on port 47 as well but no dice.

Is that not the way to do that?

Thanks,

Jeff

Message 3 of 4
JeffAtK2
Guide

For anyone who stumbles on this, I found my mistake.

The phone has only 1 IP address. When I tried to split off VLAN 20 to go out port 47, I wouldn't work because port 47 connected to the gateway at a different subnet than the phone was on (our current setup has phones and computers on completely separate networks). I wanted to let people plug data in through the phones so it had to be on the data LAN.

Once I changed my firewall rules to allow the plethora of ports used by my phone company to talk to my data lan as well as my phone lan, it worked!

I now have auto-voip set up. I'm still baffled about how this works with Phone VLAN, or if it even does. I think the auto-voip sees phone traffic and priorizes it appropriately. Not sure how to test I have it set up right other than plug a bunch of phones in and get them all on a conference call while transfering data through the switch. I did this with two deskphones, a polycom style speaker phone, and my cell phone dialed in, and it sounded fine.

Fingers crossed for my deployment next month.

Thanks,

Jeff

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements