× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

What value to set storm control rate [Mbps]

Mausy5043
Aspirant

What value to set storm control rate [Mbps]

Hi,

On my GS105Ev2 I wish to set a value for the storm rate limit (QoS > Broadcast filtering). I'm unsure what to set the limit at for each port, because when googling, I only find people talking about percentages like 0.1% or 0.01%.

However, On the GS105Ev2 I need to set it in Mbps.

How do I determine/calculate what value to set the storm rate limit at in Mbps?

Thanks!

Model: GS105Ev2|ProSAFE Plus 5-port Switch
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
XavierLL
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: What value to set storm control rate [Mbps]

Hi Mausy5043

Thanks for your explanation 🙂

For the upcoming port you are right you can turn it off as it's unlikely that you will have a broadcast storm initiated from the internet connection.

For the rest I will suggest to keep it at arround 10Mbps as even the traffic per port could be little as the AP or the 100M connection , if you don't implement VLAN or Port Isolation the Broadcast traffic will automatically flow to all the ports.

Hope it helps!

Xavier Lleixa

NETGEAR CBU PLM

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
XavierLL
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Mausy5043 

Welcome to our community!

It really depends on the type of traffic and your network setup, in general we don't recommend to have more than 5% broadcast traffic. 

So one way that you can use to calculate the broadcast limit  is use your internet connection and do 5% of it. If you wold like to be more accurate you can use port mirroring in one of the Ethernet Ports on the switch and a traffic analyzer like wireshark to calculate your broadcast level as a baseline.

Hope it helps!

Xavier Lleixa

NETGEAR CBU PLM

Message 2 of 4
Mausy5043
Aspirant

Thanks @XavierLL for your prompt answer.

So lets see if I understand this.

Connections on my switch are 
_ 1 <=> ISP modem @ 200Mbps 2 <=> Devolo Powerline to WiFi AP 3 <=> single Raspberry Pi (w/ 100M ethernetcard) 4 5 <=> Ethernet Gigabit LAN _

On port 1 (which connects to my ISP modem) I think I should disable storm control as I don't expect storm coming in from outside.

Port 2 goes to a WiFI AP at the top floor. It has little traffic. So I'd propose 1Mbps.

I have a Raspberry Pi connected to port 3. It has a 100Mbit NIC. It's not going to cause a storm on its own, me thinks. So, 0.5Mbps should suffice or should I disable it?

All the other traffic goes to/from the Gigabit LAN on port 5. I could set that at 16Mbps.

Have I got that about right?

Message 3 of 4
XavierLL
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Mausy5043

Thanks for your explanation 🙂

For the upcoming port you are right you can turn it off as it's unlikely that you will have a broadcast storm initiated from the internet connection.

For the rest I will suggest to keep it at arround 10Mbps as even the traffic per port could be little as the AP or the 100M connection , if you don't implement VLAN or Port Isolation the Broadcast traffic will automatically flow to all the ports.

Hope it helps!

Xavier Lleixa

NETGEAR CBU PLM

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements