× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: When connecting a new computer to the router no connection

SBW
Aspirant
Aspirant

When connecting a new computer to the router no connection

I have tried to connect a new computer to this router and it is failing to connect,

History

- This mahine has never worked on this LAN

- I re-built this machine outside of this network and the LAN connection worked fine, the re-build was due to other issues

- I placed this back at the customer site but when I put the computer into the LAN it fails to connect to the router - Hub

- I have tried using different LAN ports and changed the cables also tried with my laptop and it seems to be blocking access.

I have not used a NetGear product before but it must have a firewall built into this router to block access. Is there any docuementation on how to open this port up?

Model: GS116Ev2|ProSAFE Plus 16-port Gigabit Switch
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi SBW, 

The GS116v1 is an unmanaged switch, this is only a pass through plug-and-play unit. This switch does not have any configuration and software, there is no way to tell it to block its ports. Here are some things that you can check: 

• Make sure that the router (where the switch is plugged in) is passing traffic along with its capability to give out IP addresses to its clients. 
  • Check the LEDs on where the devices are connected, see Troubleshooting in the installation guide.
  • Try using different power outlets (or power adapter if one is available). If the power adapter is going bad, there is a chance that it might not supply the correct amount of power causing the switch to not work properly. 

Let me know if these will help. 

Thanks,

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello SBW, 

Welcome to the community! 

I would lime to know the model number of the device that you are working on. 

Thanks,

Message 2 of 5
SBW
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello John,

The model number is

NetGear 16 Port Gigabit Switch GS116 v1

Kind regards

Simon BW

Message 3 of 5
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi SBW, 

The GS116v1 is an unmanaged switch, this is only a pass through plug-and-play unit. This switch does not have any configuration and software, there is no way to tell it to block its ports. Here are some things that you can check: 

• Make sure that the router (where the switch is plugged in) is passing traffic along with its capability to give out IP addresses to its clients. 
  • Check the LEDs on where the devices are connected, see Troubleshooting in the installation guide.
  • Try using different power outlets (or power adapter if one is available). If the power adapter is going bad, there is a chance that it might not supply the correct amount of power causing the switch to not work properly. 

Let me know if these will help. 

Thanks,

Message 4 of 5
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi SBW, 

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.
If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Thanks,

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements