× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Windows Server LAG with Netgear XS708E

Picmention
Star

Windows Server LAG with Netgear XS708E

Hello,
I have a question for NIC teaming under Windows Server 2016. I wanted to Team two 10 GbE lanes with a Netgear XS708E and my Server with a intel x540-t2 card. On windows I selected LACP with dynamic load ballancing.

Over the ProSafe tool I selected the Ports (1,2) I used on the switch for the LAG membership. But only if I select the administrative mode disabled I get a connection. Otherwise windows says it cannot establish a LAG. Is this correct?

The XS708 is also connected with a XS716 with two lanes. Here I also activated the LAG for the two Ports (7,8 & 15,16) with admin mode enabled.

My target is to deliver 20 Gbit bandwidth in sum to all of my clients. For example two Computers wanted a full 10 GbE datastream. Did I reached my target with this configuration?

Thank you for help!
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
XavierLL
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Picmention

You can use the XS708E and have  inbound and outbound load balancing , however please make sure that when you configure the Microsoft teaamin you choose : Switch-dependent teaming with Generic or Static Teaming as described below:

• Switch-dependent teaming. This configuration requires the switch to participate in the teaming. Switch dependent teaming requires all the members of the team to be connected to the same physical switch.[1] There are two modes of operation for switch-dependent teaming:   

o  Generic or static teaming (IEEE 802.3ad draft v1). This mode requires configuration on both the switch and the host to identify which links form the team. Since this is a statically configured solution there is no additional protocol to assist the switch and the host to identify incorrectly plugged cables or other errors that could cause the team to fail to perform. This mode is typically supported by server-class switches.

Hope it helps!

Xavier Lleixa

NETGEAR CBU PLM

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Picmention,

Both XS708E and XS716E are 10-Gigabit Web Managed Plus Switches that only supports static LAG not LACP.  The LAG configured between the XS708E and XS716E switches should work.  However, the LAG between the XS708E switch and the server will not work because the XS708E does not support LACP.  You will need to set the Intel x540-t2 NIC of the server for static LAG instead for it to work.  

Another suggestion is to replace your XS708E switch with a 10-Gigabit Smart Managed switch like the XS708T or XS716T.  Both the XS708T or XS716T switches supports LACP.  For more information about the XS708T / XS716T switches, as well as comparison with the XS708E / XS716E switches, kindly check their respective data sheets below:

XS708T / XS716T Data Sheet

XS708E / XS716E Data Sheet

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 8
Picmention
Star

Hello,
thank you very much for your answer. So If I choose Static instead of LACP on my Server I reach my target that two clients can get 10 Gbit transfer at the same time? Do I need to enable also the Admin Mode on the Switch? I think replacing is no option, becaue the switches are brand new. Thank you!
Message 3 of 8
XavierLL
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Picmention

You can use the XS708E and have  inbound and outbound load balancing , however please make sure that when you configure the Microsoft teaamin you choose : Switch-dependent teaming with Generic or Static Teaming as described below:

• Switch-dependent teaming. This configuration requires the switch to participate in the teaming. Switch dependent teaming requires all the members of the team to be connected to the same physical switch.[1] There are two modes of operation for switch-dependent teaming:   

o  Generic or static teaming (IEEE 802.3ad draft v1). This mode requires configuration on both the switch and the host to identify which links form the team. Since this is a statically configured solution there is no additional protocol to assist the switch and the host to identify incorrectly plugged cables or other errors that could cause the team to fail to perform. This mode is typically supported by server-class switches.

Hope it helps!

Xavier Lleixa

NETGEAR CBU PLM

Message 4 of 8
Picmention
Star

Hello again,
I tried static LAG today. It works also with admin mode on my XS708E. As I can see both adaptors are sending and recieving at the same time. Sadly I was not able to get more than 10 Gbit/s over the network. I used four Clients to copy a 50GB file at the same time, but never get peaks over 10 Gbit/s. Is there any way to tweak that LAG or test it? Our SSD Raid can achive up to 6 GB/s and it would be nice to get more than 10 Gbit out of it. Earlier days I achived up to 1,5 Gbit with 3x1Gbit in LAG. Thanks again!
Message 5 of 8
XavierLL
NETGEAR Employee Retired

HI Picmenton

Thanks for letting us know that the LAG is currently working and good to know that you can see traffic incoming and outgoing for the different issues.

I think that there are different ways that you can tune it to see if you can improve the results:

• Enable Jumbo frames on switch and NICs
  • Change the Hashing Algorithm to Dynamic or Address Hasing on the Microsoft teaming configuraiton
  • Test using ohter tools to make sure that the bootleneck is on the Network ( iperf)

Hope it helps!

Regards

Message 6 of 8
Picmention
Star

Hello again,

I tried some different settings on my Server and its Intel card. Now I reach 17 Gbit/s in some tests with iperf. It looks like the results varied from test to test bit I think it is a normal behavior from the LAG's "load ballancing". Thanks again!

Message 7 of 8
XavierLL
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks for letting us know Picmention that's a great achievement 🙂

I am sure that with some other protocols with less overhead you will be able to reach even a better performance.

Regards

Xavier Lleixa

NETGEAR CBU PLM

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements