× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XS716T Switch. Forcing a port to 1Gbps for LACP. Documentation doesn't show it possible?

XS716T Switch. Forcing a port to 1Gbps for LACP. Documentation doesn't show it possible?

Hello,

great community.  have a quick question.  I am going to have to configure a LAG between (4) ports on the XS716T and (4) ports on a 1Gbps switch.  I understand that all ports must be the same "maximum" speed.  Therefore I need to configure the (4) ports on the XS716T to 1Gbps to match the slower switch for LAG.  In the documentation for the XS716T it shows three possible speeds for Port Configuration: "100, 10G, and Auto".  I find it hard to believe that it doesn't support forcing to 1Gbps.  If I try to set it to 1000 manually it works but only if I keep Auto-negotiation set to Auto.  

Am I correct that this is the correct config on the Port Configuration screen I am looking for?:

Port 10 - Auto negotiation, Speed manually entered to 1000, Duplex Full (it doesn't seem to allow me to choose Auto if I manually enter 1000 for port speed) ?

or since it's 2018 can everything be kept on Auto and the XS716T will automatically pick up the 1Gbps maximum speed on the other end of the LAG? (I would still be interested in knowing if the documentation is lacking and 1000 is an acceptable setting for forcing a port to 1Gbps)

thank you for your time.  The documentation not showing 1000 as an option is making me second guess myself.

Model: XS716T|ProSAFE 16-port 10-Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Switch
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: XS716T Switch. Forcing a port to 1Gbps for LACP. Documentation doesn't show it possible?

By the IEEE 802.3 design, 1000Base-T (and ie. 10GBase-T) auto-negotiation is mandatory. Properly compliant IEEE 802.3 hardware will send and respond to link negotiation information in link pulses. Anything else is a violation of IEEE 802.3 - a standard made long before 2018.

Very different is the situation when it comes to SFP and SFP+ - there is no auto negotiation, neither on the SFP/SFP+ interface, nor on a fibre link. Therefore, you won't be able to link up a GbE switch with SFP ports to a 10GbE switch with SFP+ ports.  

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Re: XS716T Switch. Forcing a port to 1Gbps for LACP. Documentation doesn't show it possible?

By the IEEE 802.3 design, 1000Base-T (and ie. 10GBase-T) auto-negotiation is mandatory. Properly compliant IEEE 802.3 hardware will send and respond to link negotiation information in link pulses. Anything else is a violation of IEEE 802.3 - a standard made long before 2018.

Very different is the situation when it comes to SFP and SFP+ - there is no auto negotiation, neither on the SFP/SFP+ interface, nor on a fibre link. Therefore, you won't be able to link up a GbE switch with SFP ports to a 10GbE switch with SFP+ ports.  

Message 2 of 3

Thanks so much for the reply.  I am just trying to create a 4-Port LAG via the copper ports for now.  I know it's not the most elegant situation but we have some open ports so why not.  Will give it a go on Auto.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements