× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XS728T 10Gbe connection issues

XS728T 10Gbe connection issues

Hi all,

We're having some very frustrating issues with our XS728T 10G switch. Mainly that it has trouble negotiating 10G connections over longer cable lengths. I've done a lot of tests and I've narrowed it down to the switch as being the issue. Testing with a CAT-6a S/FTP 30m cable, I am unable to negotiate a connection to any NIC. I've tried different ports, different NICs (mostly Intel x540-T2). No lights at either end, just nothing. When I test the same cable with our XS716T it connects fine at the full 10G.

With other cabling I've tested (CAT-6) 10G connectivity has been spotty at best, either connecting only at 1G or not at all. If I use a very short CAT6 cable - e.g. 2m, then I can get it to connect. The XS716T has none of these issues and happily uses CAT6 up to ~30m without issue at 10G.

The XS728T is running firmware 6.5.1.36

The XS716T is running firmware 6.6.3.5

The only thing I have yet to try is downgrading to an older firmware.

Does anyone have any experience or insight into this? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. NETGEAR support is impossible to contact unfortunately.

Model: XS728T|28-Port 10-Gigabit Copper Smart Managed Pro Switch with 4 SFP+ Ports
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions

Re: XS728T 10Gbe connection issues

Just to follow up on this. We were finally able to get through on the chat function, Netgear issued an RMA, we received the new switch today and it works as expected. The problem was a fault with the switch.

View solution in original post

Model: XS728T|28-Port 10-Gigabit Copper Smart Managed Pro Switch with 4 SFP+ Ports
Message 5 of 5

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Operating XS728T and XS728T on cabling system up to 95 meters with reliable 10GbE connectivity. Firmware is currently 6.5.1.36_310 (inheriting some bug fixes for an unexpected switch crash and restart), however, this site served as a early adopter to Netgear, and we did not had any unexpected port shutdowns, too. 

@creamelectricar wrote:

NETGEAR support is impossible to contact unfortunately.

Aehm sorry? Register the switches, and you have life time chat support on https://my.netgear.com/ 

Message 2 of 5

@schumaku  Glad to hear you're not having problems but ours clearly does not work as expected. Our XS716T works as expected, just not the XS728T.

As for chat support, thanks I'm aware, have all our gear registered, but the chat function does not work. We get an error every time that says we have been blocked due to too many connection attempts from our end. So the only avenue of contact we have does not work - no email support as an alternative so I can't report the issue with the chat.

Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@creamelectricar wrote:

Our XS716T works as expected, just not the XS728T.

Was the XS728T replaced already?

@creamelectricar wrote:

As for chat support, thanks I'm aware, have all our gear registered, but the chat function does not work. We get an error every time that says we have been blocked due to too many connection attempts from our end. So the only avenue of contact we have does not work - no email support as an alternative so I can't report the issue with the chat.

Well, that's very different from what you reported before. @ChristineT this is something to investigate.

Is your Internet connection behind some CGN (Carrier Grade NAT) probably? Use a mobile phone over 3G/4G/LTE/5G whatever instead.

Message 4 of 5

Just to follow up on this. We were finally able to get through on the chat function, Netgear issued an RMA, we received the new switch today and it works as expected. The problem was a fault with the switch.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements