× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XS728T add 100Mbit support via SFP?

menwithven
Aspirant

XS728T add 100Mbit support via SFP?

We have a XS728T switch and have a device that is 100Mbit/s (100BASE-T) and would like to know if there is any way to connect it to this switch via an SFP?

It does not seem like Netgear offers an SFP that would achieve this. However, is this even possible, using 3rd party SFPs?

I have seen reference to SFP tranceivers that support 'SFP SGMII' as being able to support the Gigabit SFP connection on the XS728T and also 100BASE-T. Would these SPF tranceivers work with the XS728T?

Model: XS728T|28-Port 10-Gigabit Copper Smart Managed Pro Switch with 4 SFP+ Ports
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi, thank you for your message.

Unfortunately no, XS728T won't support 100M at all. 10G copper ports can only do 10G or 1G, same for the 10G fiber SFP+ ports. So it is impossible to connect a 100BASE-T device to a XS728T.

Usually SFP+ ports can't do 100M at all, only 10G or 1G speeds with corresponding SFP modules.

Now, I can tell you that M4300 10G models (www.netgear.com/m4300) can support 100M on their copper 10GBASE-T ports. To help you, datasheets indicate the supported port speeds per interface, for instance in Hardware at a glance or in Tech Specs. Usually the datasheet is available under the Resources tab in each product page. I hope this helps,

Regards

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi, thank you for your message.

Unfortunately no, XS728T won't support 100M at all. 10G copper ports can only do 10G or 1G, same for the 10G fiber SFP+ ports. So it is impossible to connect a 100BASE-T device to a XS728T.

Usually SFP+ ports can't do 100M at all, only 10G or 1G speeds with corresponding SFP modules.

Now, I can tell you that M4300 10G models (www.netgear.com/m4300) can support 100M on their copper 10GBASE-T ports. To help you, datasheets indicate the supported port speeds per interface, for instance in Hardware at a glance or in Tech Specs. Usually the datasheet is available under the Resources tab in each product page. I hope this helps,

Regards
Message 2 of 3
menwithven
Aspirant

Thanks Laurent. I have received advice from some 3rd party providers of SFP tranceivers that they can support this switch at 100M via SFP, but based on your answer I am somewhat skeptical! I will buy one just to see...

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements