× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

gs108ev3 eats DHCP traffic

Retired_Member
Not applicable

gs108ev3 eats DHCP traffic

Hi,

I need to be able to separate IPTV and lan, and configure them to different ports as described below.

Problem: My ISP delivers IPTV on vlan46, and untagged traffic on the same cable.

At present, using the latest firmware, the above is not possible (or please tell me how to configure it).

If I don't configure the switch at all, connects the "uplink" from ISP to port 1, USG to port 2, and IPTV-box to port 3, it kind of works. Though the network is then bashed/stressed with multicast packages that should only reach the IPTV-box.

If I configure the switch as follows below, I only get IPTV, the USG does not receive the external DHCP address it needs;

P1: Uplink from ISP
P2: To USG Wan1 (Ubiquiti Security Gateway)
P3: To Arris IPTV

Configuration:
---------------
vlan1:
p: 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

vlan46:
p: 1, 3

Port Membership:
-----------------
vlan1:
p: 1(T), 2(U), 3(-), 4-8(U)

vlan46:
p: 1(T), 2(-), 3(U), 4-8(-)

PVIDs:
-------
p: 1-2(1), 3(46), 4-8(1)

Doing this exact thing using a Ubuquiti switch works like a charm, which to me indicates the gs108ev3's firmware is causing this problem. Netgear switches are quite new and buying new ones are not an option at this point. 

Please confirm this problem or please tell me how to configure the switch.

Thanks

Model: GS108Ev3|ProSAFE 8-port Gigabit Plus Switch
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: gs108ev3 eats DHCP traffic

Hi,

I think you may have misunderstood. It is the Netgear switch that cannot handle the incoming traffic. It is the first device my incoming traffic passes, ie before the USG (firewall) and fails to separate the iptv vlan and the untagged traffic when configured to do so. On the port where only untagged traffic should lead to the USG, the iptv multicast traffic is also delivered, which it should not.

But since I have the setup I need using Ubiquiti equipment, I don't really see the point in continuing this thread. I thought I marked it as solved? 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

LOL. Netgear chat "support" kindly indicated this cannot be done. WoW. Even after I told them this has been done with Ubiquiti's switch. By myself. Minutes ago.

Sorry, but from now on Netgear is just a joke to me. The hardware is great (for what I can tell), that I will still agree with, but if the firmware don't match it - what a waste. I will give away/sell/return all my Netgear stuff except for a few unconfigured switches, as those have proven useful at times. More complex(?!) setups (as this easy one) are obviously not well suited for at least the Netgear GS108ev3.

Guess my new favourite brand?

Message 2 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Retired_Member,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Not sure if you already came across with the article below.  If ever you still have the GS108Ev3, kindly access the article and check if it helps:

Default IGMP settings may affect multicast streams on NETGEAR Web Managed Plus Switches

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi,

thanks for the suggestion. Though in my case IGMP and IPTV was not the issue, but the switch not letting external DHCP traffic/negotiation through it. Perfectly normal according to Netgear support, but other brands do this and even acknowledges they should do so.

Message 4 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Retired_Member,

Just following up on this. Here are my follow-up questions below:

a. What model of Ubiquiti Security Gateway are you using?

b. If you will remove the Ubiquiti Security Gateway from the setup, does everything work?

c. Is the Ubiquiti Security Gateway configured to reach the ISP gateway and has the correct VLAN tag set on it?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi,

I think you may have misunderstood. It is the Netgear switch that cannot handle the incoming traffic. It is the first device my incoming traffic passes, ie before the USG (firewall) and fails to separate the iptv vlan and the untagged traffic when configured to do so. On the port where only untagged traffic should lead to the USG, the iptv multicast traffic is also delivered, which it should not.

But since I have the setup I need using Ubiquiti equipment, I don't really see the point in continuing this thread. I thought I marked it as solved? 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements