× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

gs724tv3 amber light after firmware update

jditto1
Aspirant

gs724tv3 amber light after firmware update

i purchased this switch second hand.  worked great.  flashed with latest firmware now i have an amber light and that's it.  I tried to fix by following details in this link: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Smart-Plus-Click-Switches/GS724Tv3-does-not-boot-after-firmware-upd...

i get connected to the switch but everything coming over the serial wire is gibberish.  I'm hoping someone else has had this same issue and can point me in the right direction.  thanks,

Model: GS724Tv3|24 ports ProSafe Gigabit Smart switch
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
jditto1
Aspirant

Re: gs724tv3 amber light after firmware update

I'm posting this for posterity.  

So i figured it out.  i already had a usb to rs232 converter but what i didn't know is that i needed an rs232 TTL with the "TTL" being the important part. Who knew?  So once i got the correct adapter i hooked up to the switch and followed the instructions at http://www.dutn.nl/repairs/reparaties_gs724t.html  just make sure you flash the original firmware off of netgears site and then upgrade from there.  also make sure you make what ever image you upload to the switch "active" which is what i did not do before upgrading the switch in the first place.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi jditto1,

Welcome to the community!

As far as I checked the previous post, they didn't just use the serial wire but they opened the switch and access it on the UART interface.

Please refer to this link if you want to do the same thing that they've done.

Regards,

Message 2 of 5
jditto1
Aspirant

i tried to follow the directions from that site already.  all i get from the console is gibberish.  i'm wondering what i'm doing wrong.  i connect up the wires and have used hyperterminal and putty.  i get gibberish comming across the wire.  i've tried different baud rates without success.  do i need to enable some sort of decoding on the terminal emulator?  also i know i've got the wires hooked correctly  because my key presses cause activity in the terminal window even though i can't make anything out.

thanks

Message 3 of 5
jditto1
Aspirant

would you include a link to the ttl converter you have?

Message 4 of 5
jditto1
Aspirant

I'm posting this for posterity.  

So i figured it out.  i already had a usb to rs232 converter but what i didn't know is that i needed an rs232 TTL with the "TTL" being the important part. Who knew?  So once i got the correct adapter i hooked up to the switch and followed the instructions at http://www.dutn.nl/repairs/reparaties_gs724t.html  just make sure you flash the original firmware off of netgears site and then upgrade from there.  also make sure you make what ever image you upload to the switch "active" which is what i did not do before upgrading the switch in the first place.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements