× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

port monitoring

Ralph0
Aspirant

port monitoring

Gee I haven't even started and I m already confused.  The model number I have wasn't even listed so I guessed

Oh well, The switch I see is a GS748T-500NAS 

Basically my problem is that we have a vampire on our network that is constantly downloading to the point of saturating our T1 but only at certain time windows..

The mostly GB intranet seems ok but internet is almost unusable.  As it is a hospital I can't just remove random devices searching.

I was planning to use a managed prosafe 48 port gigabit switch in hopes of being able to identify the culprit.  Although the ad says simple, Documentation is slim and I am concerned about getting it in her and still not being able to locate the evil IP address.

Can someone PLEASE point me to a simple explanation of how to accomplish this?

Thank You !

Model: GS748Tv5|ProSAFE 48-port Gigabit Smart Switch
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: port monitoring

@Ralph0,

You're welcome! 🙂  If ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Cheers,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Ralph0,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

The GS748T-500NAS is the product code for GS748Tv5 smart switch (v = version) for North America and Latin America.  NAS stands for North America and Latin America.  

You may want to check the Port Statistics.  On the web-GUI of the GS748Tv5, go to Monitoring > Ports > Port Statistics.  This displays a summary of per-port traffic statistics on the switch.  Checking the packets received on each port might help you trace the MAC Address of the PC connected to the switch that you suspect a vampire in your network. Kindly read pages 230-237 of the GS748Tv5 software administration manual here about Port Statistics. 

Also, it is possible that there could be a Denial-of-service attack (DoS attack).  You may want to configure Denial of Service.  On the web-GUI of the GS748Tv5, go to System > Management > Denial of Service > Denial of Service Configuration.  Kindly read pages 47-48 of the GS748Tv5 software administration manual here about configuring Denial of Service.

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 5
Ralph0
Aspirant

Thank you Dana,

This is exactly the information I needed.  I also appreciate the manual and expecially references to just what pages to look for.

I've  been hoping for this specific upgrade and the Doctors should go for it now due to the service affecting problem.  I originally put in a gigabit switch but as they expanded one of their employees add a 10/100. They aren't techs and looked only at nickles instead of the cost of doing it right.

Thanks again 

Ralph

PS.  This puts me a few more bucks closer to April and......

Ahhh.. Vacation on the Mandalay!Ahhh.. Vacation on the Mandalay!

Model: GS748T|48-port Gigabit Smart Switch
Message 3 of 5
Ralph0
Aspirant

MY APOLOGIES!

I didn't notice until it posted

A BIG THANK YOU TO

DaneA

Model: GS748T|48-port Gigabit Smart Switch
Message 4 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Ralph0,

You're welcome! 🙂  If ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Cheers,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements