× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: sfp+ s3300 to server

NAM-CONCEPT
Tutor

sfp+ s3300 to server

is it possible t ouplink the switch to the server via sfp+ and fibre directly from the switch??

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

If compatibility (read: vendor ID) is enforced, this is a thing you have to ensure between the server/SFP+ network interface, or even the network interface card and the server. Consult with Dell for the requirements or the "generic" network equipment, for compatibility with the network card itself, for the SFP+ side makers/suppliers which can offer SFP+ modules programmed accordingly.

Be aware that there are some servers require special OEM versions of NIC cards which might look similar, even have the same PCIe slot size. And there are cards in the free market witch are special OEM versions for one or the other server brand (and model) - this could be a special config for the PCI lanes, this could be a special programmed vendor ID again.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 10

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Sure, just ensure the port is not configured as a stacking port. Beyond, both peers must be SFP+ and 10 GbE.

Message 2 of 10
NAM-CONCEPT
Tutor

thank you ... that sounds logical, but we also think that our dell server doesnt like our interl based sfp+ module, and in its drivers section it say unidentifed nics controller... so I am kind of hopeful that by getting 2 new compatible sfp+ transceivers it will all get resolved quite quickly!!!

Unless I am very wrong?

R

Message 3 of 10
schumaku
Guru

If compatibility (read: vendor ID) is enforced, this is a thing you have to ensure between the server/SFP+ network interface, or even the network interface card and the server. Consult with Dell for the requirements or the "generic" network equipment, for compatibility with the network card itself, for the SFP+ side makers/suppliers which can offer SFP+ modules programmed accordingly.

Be aware that there are some servers require special OEM versions of NIC cards which might look similar, even have the same PCIe slot size. And there are cards in the free market witch are special OEM versions for one or the other server brand (and model) - this could be a special config for the PCI lanes, this could be a special programmed vendor ID again.

Message 4 of 10
NAM-CONCEPT
Tutor

it all makes sense.

I have already asked dell to provide us with 2 compatible trasceivers, for the server card...

our switches have been stacked for years with sfp+ trasceivers AFL SFP+-31-10GE-10-C-D, sfp+ 10Gbase-LP 1310nm

I can only assume that if we get our dell fitted with recommended SFP+ modules, then switches should be able to retain old SFP+ parts?

Message 5 of 10
schumaku
Guru

If the NIC came with the Dell server, the "right" SPF+ modules must be in place.

All you have to ensure that the right lasers and wavelength are used on both ends of the fiber link.

With the exception of the big Managed Switch class, Netgear does not enforce using Netgear vendor coded SFP/SFP+ modules on the Smart Managed Plus and Smart Managed Pro switches - here things are much easier.

Message 6 of 10
NAM-CONCEPT
Tutor

forgive my naivity, but sfp+ is not my specialty, nor strength... are you referring to 1310nm?, so I must ask dell to match ours, e.g. instead of providing us with 850nm?

am I correct? ot totally wrong?

Message 7 of 10
schumaku
Guru

@NAM-CONCEPT wrote:

are you referring to 1310nm?, so I must ask dell to match ours, e.g. instead of providing us with 850nm?

Exactly. The wavelength has to match. You can also look up the "free" vendors of fiber and SFP+ hardware - they can program the (much less expensive) modules the way the NIC vendor (Dell here, even if it's an Inhell one) the SFP+ accordignly. 

Message 8 of 10
NAM-CONCEPT
Tutor

yeah... what scares me now is that their (DELL) sfp+ nick matched transceivers start at $648 and upwards and I need 2 of these...

I need a drink... 😞

Unless instead of buying dell - I find out dell model and ask free vendor to supply me with a match... would it be cheper way of approaching it?

Message 9 of 10
NAM-CONCEPT
Tutor

FC.com seem to have a DELL compatible SFP+ 10GE-LR DOM module for 23 dollars... while FLEXOPTIX has a programmable trasceiver to suit most vendors... both match 130nm wavelength

am I on correct track?

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements