× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

switch gs116ev2 kicked off internet arris router

Generalspace
Aspirant

switch gs116ev2 kicked off internet arris router

Hi All,

I have a GS116Ev2 switch that has run great for a year or so. My cable service updated their modem/router (arris) Firmware ver. 9.1.103s5p Now my switch looses its internet connection.  The lan side is fine router shuts router port off. I've plugged in a pc to port that had the switch no connection. I had to power down modem/router to get conection back. 

I updated my firmware in switch to v2.0.1.40. I look at all my connections etc... everything is ok. It all started with cable updating their equipment. Any Ideas??

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Generalspace
Aspirant

Re: switch gs116ev2 kicked off internet arris router

OK , problem taken care of it was shentel arris modem/router .The tech. call it an MTA I guess because it had phone in it. Anyway they installed a reg. modem/router and I stayed on the internet. So I bought my own modem and I am using my router. Everything is fine.

, I was sure it was them.

Thanks for the help.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10

All Replies
ElaineP
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Generalspace,

Welcome to NETGEAR community!

Please install ProSAFE Plus Configuration Utility v2.4.3 on PC, reboot the switch and discover the switch with ip address. Then you can find that switch get ip address by DHCP or not.

If the switch does not connect with DHCP server, only connect with PC,  the default ip address is 192.168.0.239. Please confirm that your PC ip is 192.168.0.x, then you can login the swich. It means switch works ok.

If the switch have the ip address 192.168.0.239, then connect with DHCP server, which need to enable DHCP mode and refresh by Utility or try to reboot the switch.

Look forward your reply. 

Regards,

NETGEAR Employee

Message 2 of 10
Generalspace
Aspirant

Message 3 of 10
Generalspace
Aspirant

Thanks for getting back to me. The default ip was 192.168.0.239. I enabled DHCP mode and now the ip is 192.168.0.7. I did have a pc lock to that port for a game server. I switch the pc so far everything ok. Is only been a few min.  LOL

I will re post in 24 hrs if everything is ok or not.

Thank You

Message 4 of 10
ElaineP
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Generalspace,

You are welcome.

You can do factory default to make the switch have default configuration for every port. Wait for your update for everything.

Regards,

NETGEAR Employee

Message 5 of 10
Generalspace
Aspirant

HI,

Ok so is a new day with the same old crap. The internet is down. It worked for a little last night maybe an hour. It was 300am I when to bed. Morning no internet. The network is up I see my nas and other pc's. I did a refresh ip and it show the switch 0.0.0.0.  and re did the refresh and it show my pc outside the network. An IP I have not seen .It was not my real ip. 

If I unplug the switch from arris modem/router and plug it in another port it works for a short time and gone. It like it shutting off port. I plug a pc right in into modem, the port the switch was on, it dead.

I did look in router setting and i see the the router is set on DHCP is that a problem ?  maybe we can set router to lock on switch 192.168.0.239 ?

I have not tried factory defaults , they should be set I basicly have just plug it in and plug in cables. Plug just did new firmware

I skills with network are min. I thank you for your help.

Message 6 of 10
XavierLL
NETGEAR Employee Retired

HI GeneralSpace,

About the DHCP, shouldn't be an issue that you have enabled in your router. Could you check under monitoring-port statistics if you can see some errors into the network ports?

Hope it helps!

Xavier Lleixa

NETGEAR CBU PLM

Message 7 of 10
Generalspace
Aspirant

Hi,

Under monitoring-port statistic no errors. I did do the factory default same problem. Here what i did and so far I am up. I put my 4 port hub in between the router and the switch so far I am still on line, its been an hour.

I do get this message when i use the utility Error-there is a commumication problem access netgear registion server. registration process is cancelled. Please check your internet connection and regist the product next time

Message 8 of 10
ElaineP
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Generalspace,

About the Error message of utility, which indicates that you cannot access the internet. When you get the switch, you’d better to register it from my netgear. Or else, the registration message will pop up once you login the switch. It will not harm for your switch, only give one reminder.

After you login the switch by utility, click Help-Registration-Register and complete the registration process, to make sure that your internet connect correctly. The error message about ‘…communication problem…’ will not pop up after login the switch.

Regards,

NETGEAR Employee

Message 9 of 10
Generalspace
Aspirant

OK , problem taken care of it was shentel arris modem/router .The tech. call it an MTA I guess because it had phone in it. Anyway they installed a reg. modem/router and I stayed on the internet. So I bought my own modem and I am using my router. Everything is fine.

, I was sure it was them.

Thanks for the help.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements