× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: wired router and 5 switches

hosregla
Aspirant

wired router and 5 switches

Hello guys

how is the best wired. i have ffth with AMPER eg-663

WIRED:   G01 EG-663 --->  RACKG  SWG (.203) G01 40m

G02 EG-663 ---> RACKAB  SW (.200) G01 38 m ------> SWB (x.201)(G47SWA) TO G23(SWB) 20 cm

G03 EG-663 ---> CPU HP 5100

G04 EG-663 ---> RACKCD SWC (202) G48   66m-71m

I would like get LAG with each switches.

SWITCHES                                 modelo                                              FW                                       ports                                                 situation

192.168.0.202                      GS748Tv4H2                        5.4.2.18 //               B5.3.0.2                   48                                   rack cd - Rayos - PLAN.0
192.168.0.200                      GS748Tv4H1                         5.4.2.13 //               B5.3.0.2                  48                                    rack ab- principal - PLAN 1
192.168.0.201                      GS724Tv3                              5.4.2.13 //                     B5.1.1.1                        24                        rack ab - principal  PLAN 1
192.168.0.203                      GS724Tv3                              5.4.2.13 //                   B5.1.1.1                       24                            rack gh - PLAN 2
192.168.0.204                      GS748TV5                            6.3.1.11 //                   B1.0.0.4                       48                             RACK E_F PLAN_01_PAPE

Thks by your time 😉

byes from SPAIN

Model: GS748Tv4|NETGEAR 48-port Smart Switch
Message 1 of 23

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@hosregla,

It seems that your goal in setting up LACP is to improve the read/write speeds between PCs, am I right?  It seems your concern is similar to this forum link I found online.  Kindly access and  read it.

Doing an iPerf test would help.  Here are the links I found online that you could use as a guide to perform an iPerf test.

What is iPerf and how is it used?

Iperf Tutorial

Basic Network Testing with iPerf

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 22 of 23

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi hosregla,

Are you going to cascade all of the switches having a LAG configuration in between? 

Kindly access the links below as reference guide on how to configure LAG:

Configuring the Link Aggregation Group (LAG)

How to set up Link Aggregation

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 23
hosregla
Aspirant

Will I get better performance, if the switches do not go through the router, and only one of them goes through the router ?.

The DC, and SQL SERVER, PACS DICOM are connected in                192.168.0.200                    GS748Tv4H1                           5.4.2.13

How would you connect them?

Can I connect two switches in lag mode with x.200?

Thnks by your time 😉

Message 3 of 23
hosregla
Aspirant

i have find this KB http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/GSM7352SV2/how_to_configure_lag.pdf

but what is the best practice?   1º each switch to router or 2º each switch, in cascade by LAG   sw1  ---LAG 2 wired-- sw2  ---LAG 2 wired SW3 -- LAG 2 wired SW4 --  (DC,SQL SERVER 2012,DICOM PACS are in sw 1.

Message 4 of 23
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi hosregla,

Referring on the diagram below, I believe this is the setup that you wanted to implement wherein Switch A is connected to the firewall router.  Then switch B  is connected via a LAG connection to Switch A. Then Switch C is connected via a LAG connection to Switch B.   Am I right? 

If ever I am right, this setup is possible and you may refer on the article I have provided previously on how to set up LAG.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 23
hosregla
Aspirant

The best practice is your scheme. my question is.
Is it good practice, connect to b by LAG and C connecto to A by LAG and D to B by lag ??

Message 6 of 23
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi hosregla,

It would be best to post a diagram (a .img or .png file) of the network setup you wanted to implement.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 23
hosregla
Aspirant

esquema_red_ideal.png

Message 8 of 23
hosregla
Aspirant

2016-12-07_17h32_27.png

Message 9 of 23
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi hosregla,

You could implement the network diagram you've posted. 🙂  As far as I know, I don't see any wrong in it.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 10 of 23
hosregla
Aspirant

esquema_red_DIC16.png

that image, is current situation.

This other image, is test with a program to mesuare speed.

test_speed.png

thnks, by your time.

Message 11 of 23
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi hosregla,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Were you able to implement the network set up you wanted that involves LAG configuration?  If yes, what are the results?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 12 of 23
hosregla
Aspirant

I have not made any changes yet.
Other question, if I restore default values, which IP takes the switch?

My current approach to networking is that of the last photo.

Message 13 of 23
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi hosregla,

If you restore the switch to factory defaults, the IP address of it will default back into 192.168.0.239.  However, be reminded that DHCP is enabled by default so if you will perform a factory reset while the switch is connected to the existing network, it might get assigned an IP Address from the DHCP server.  

For me, it would be best to disconnect the switch from the existing network before doing a factory reset on it then assign a static IP address to it before connecting it back to the existing network.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 14 of 23
hosregla
Aspirant

Hi, i return with news.

i reseted that sw by default config, and it was rise like  ip x.x.0.12  (by dhcp client)

i config LAG in SW A and SW B. that sw are in same RACK. RACK AB CALLED is it.

That capture is switche B

201_lag.png

that other capture is SW A.

200_lag.png

i have test with same server.  xxxx.237 it is in SW A.

I Test it, with computer are in SW B.

ren_lag.png

the actual SCheme is.

esquema_red_DIC16_lag.png

Model: GS748Tv3|ProSAFE 48-port Gigabit Smart Switch
Message 15 of 23
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi hosregla,

It seems that you have set up LAG properly between Switches A and B.  Based from the screenshots, it would be best if you change the LAG Type from Static to LACP.  

Advantages of LACP over Static LAG:

1.  Even if one physical links fails, it will detect if the point-to-point connection is using a media converter, so that the link status at the switching port remains up. Because LACPDUs (Link Aggregation Control Protocol Data Units) do not form a component of this connection, the link will be removed from the link aggregate. This ensures that packets will not be lost due to the failed link.

2.  Both of the devices can mutually confirm the LAG configuration. With static link aggregation, errors in the configuration or wiring will often not be detected as quickly.

For more details about LAG and the basics of LACP, kindly access this link

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 16 of 23
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi hosregla,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.
If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Thanks, 

Message 17 of 23
hosregla
Aspirant

Hi Hosregla,

I will close the case, when trying to change the LAG mode to the one recommended above.
And when you try to connect all SWITCHES to A.
Thank you.

Message 18 of 23
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@hosregla,

Does it mean that everything is working fine especially the LAG setup?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 19 of 23
hosregla
Aspirant

Sorry for the delay, I have not been to work in the last 15 days.

i have just change to LACP, this night reboot Switches. SW A and SW B. I will test traficc with same program.(totusoft.com/ LAN SPEED TEST)

and after, i will wired all swiches B,C,D,E,G to A  (directly) and I will check if there is any difference with the current scheme.

Message 20 of 23
hosregla
Aspirant

LACP2.png

i have the same result with LACP without LACP.

Message 21 of 23
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@hosregla,

It seems that your goal in setting up LACP is to improve the read/write speeds between PCs, am I right?  It seems your concern is similar to this forum link I found online.  Kindly access and  read it.

Doing an iPerf test would help.  Here are the links I found online that you could use as a guide to perform an iPerf test.

What is iPerf and how is it used?

Iperf Tutorial

Basic Network Testing with iPerf

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 22 of 23
hosregla
Aspirant

Obviously if NETGEAR FORUM says that I put LACP, instead of STATIC, I put LACP.

I completely understand that a test of velocity measurement, between two points, is very simple, and that there must be deeper tests.

Thnks by your knowledgebase!!!!

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements