× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

1000/100mbps in, 735 mbps from router and 94mbps from switch GS105E!?

PESE
Aspirant

1000/100mbps in, 735 mbps from router and 94mbps from switch GS105E!?

My internet provider (Hiper) delivers 1.190mbps (download) into my house via coax. Approx. 735 mbps is sent on from the router (SagemCom F@ST 3890V3 WU also provided by Hiper) via approx. 5 m cat6 to my Netgear GS105E switch. From here approx 95 mbps is delivered from any of the output ports. This has been measured on a brand new gaming laptop with killer xtend and all AND also on a 7k$ professional instrument for that purpose only (by a technician from the largest internet provider in the country). I had the same scenario on a cheaper switch from D-Link. It's probably not the switch despite the fact, that the issue is just after the switch, but then what is the issue and how can I fix it? 

In the Insight app, where I can manage the switch, in the port status it is stated, that all 5 ports are up, speed is auto, linked speed is 1000M on port 1-4, and no more than 100M on port 5 (and I can't change that myself)? Flow control is enabled and 16349 MTU on all ports. QoS is port-based with high-priority on all ports.

Bootloader version V1.6.0.2-VB

Firmware version V1.6.0.4

Does anyone have any idea how I can get closer to getting the >700 mbps out from the switch ?? HELP and thanks!

Model: GS105Ev2|ProSafe Plus 5 ports switch
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: 1000/100mbps in, 735 mbps from router and 94mbps from switch GS105E!?

@PESE wrote:

My internet provider (Hiper) delivers 1.190mbps (download) into my house via coax. Approx. 735 mbps is sent on from the router (SagemCom F@ST 3890V3 WU also provided by Hiper)

Lot of loss already, ok, might be caused by the "best effort" policy in place on consumer connections, or related to the asymmetric speed.

@PESE wrote:

From here approx 95 mbps is delivered from any of the output ports.  

Reads like there is a link in the data path operating at 100 Mbit/s link speed only.

@PESE wrote:

In the Insight app, where I can manage the switch, in the port status it is stated, that all 5 ports are up, speed is auto, linked speed is 1000M on port 1-4, and no more than 100M on port 5

What is connected to this port #5 - the link to the modem/router?

@PESE wrote:

...100M on port 5 (and I can't change that myself)?

Perfectly correct - automatic link speed negotiation is mandatory on Gigabit and faster Ethernet links. Fixing to link rates of 1000M and up is illegal, this is why Netgear does not offer this control option.

Try a diffeent cable. Check and clean the contacts if required, ... Typical cause for 100M only are not four pairs propery wired on the cable(s). Auto negotiation are very uncommon nowadays, but still exist.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@PESE wrote:

My internet provider (Hiper) delivers 1.190mbps (download) into my house via coax. Approx. 735 mbps is sent on from the router (SagemCom F@ST 3890V3 WU also provided by Hiper)

Lot of loss already, ok, might be caused by the "best effort" policy in place on consumer connections, or related to the asymmetric speed.

@PESE wrote:

From here approx 95 mbps is delivered from any of the output ports.  

Reads like there is a link in the data path operating at 100 Mbit/s link speed only.

@PESE wrote:

In the Insight app, where I can manage the switch, in the port status it is stated, that all 5 ports are up, speed is auto, linked speed is 1000M on port 1-4, and no more than 100M on port 5

What is connected to this port #5 - the link to the modem/router?

@PESE wrote:

...100M on port 5 (and I can't change that myself)?

Perfectly correct - automatic link speed negotiation is mandatory on Gigabit and faster Ethernet links. Fixing to link rates of 1000M and up is illegal, this is why Netgear does not offer this control option.

Try a diffeent cable. Check and clean the contacts if required, ... Typical cause for 100M only are not four pairs propery wired on the cable(s). Auto negotiation are very uncommon nowadays, but still exist.

Message 2 of 5
PESE
Aspirant

Hi Schumaku,

Thanks for taking your time to dig into this. I have tested all ports on the switch and all ports on the router ending up with the same, heartbreaking result ...98mbps despite the fact, that the cable from the router to the switch delivered +700mbps. So ...I found an old cat 5E cable and connected it between the router and the switch and ...got instantly +650 mbps (instead of 98mbps). How the h... a cat 6 cable providing + 700 mbps to the switch impacts the flow that negative is a puzzle to me. And the only cable of them all built into my wall now has to be exchanged with a new one ...

Kudos to you, cases solved - thanks!

Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@PESE wrote:

And the only cable of them all built into my wall now has to be exchanged with a new one ...

Look into the installation first - a CAT5A cable with four working pairs, eight strands, properly crimped, .... should allow the negotiation to a Gigabit link.

Message 4 of 5
PESE
Aspirant

Oh yes. Cat5A works, but it’s an old cable and still to be hidden in the wall. So ... as it the very first part my network (and built in), I’d rather like it to cat7 ...future-proof.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements