× Get weekly deals on business products. Shop Ethernet Switches and more In the NETGEAR Store
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

At least one solution to: GS108T - Losing Management IP from time to time

This is at least one solution for the following thread which has been closed:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Wired-Network-Adapters/GS108T-Losing-Management-IP-from-time-to-tim...

I find the fact that it was closed very strange considering it was never solved. So here goes at least one solution.

I've noticed the same problem for quite some time, but like the author to the above thread stated, the switch keeps on working so I've never complained in this Netgear forum. Except that it is a problem if one wants to manage it, as they can't log in to do so.

So here's what I found out:

In my case, it happens after loosing power, though I've never connected the two events before.  The issue is that the Netgear GS108T boots up faster than my router. So the router can't assign the IP from the pool.  I use a static setup whereby my router assigns the IP based upon the particular hardware's MAC.  When the Netgear switch can't get an IP from the router, becasue the router is still booting, it's very slow, I'm assuming it defaults to the original, or gets hung up somehow, I'm not sure which.

Anyway, all I have to do, while the router is up and running, is power off the netgear switch for 10 seconds, then power it up, the router sees it and assigns the proper static IP.  It's a shame that one of the two pieces of gear does this.  I'm assuming it's the switch, becasue it also happened with my old router, though it is of the same manufacturer, but they are 10 years apart in design.  So not really certain.

Anyway that's what I got.  I hope it helps someone that experiences the same type issue.

Happy Networking!

Model: GS108Tv1|ProSAFE 8-Port Gigabit Smart Switch
Message 1 of 8
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: At least one solution to: GS108T - Losing Management IP from time to time

Hi MFSC,

Welcome to the community! Smiley Happy 

Thanks for sharing the workaround with regard to your concern.  However, have you tried to set a static IP address to the GS108T for ease of management? Also, what is the current firmware version of the GS108T switch?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 8
Highlighted
Aspirant

Model NameHardware VersionBoot VersionSoftware Version
GS108T1.0.0.1V1.0.0_023.0.4.10

Actually settting up static IP's on each device is more work and more admin intensive. Doing as I have done, setting Static IP's by MAC's, can be done from one web configurator.  A central admin interface is always easier to maintain.  I stil effectively get static IP's but can change them more easily. At least that's my two cents!

HaGO!

Model: GS108T|ProSAFE 8-port Gigabit Smart Switch
Message 3 of 8
Highlighted
Aspirant

I must say I find setting a static address much more useful, since then I can use it off site and i situations where no DHCP is available.

I mostly use my GS108T switches in the field, bringing a statically set up laptop with Wireshark and my GS108T and a few CAT6 cables to the problem site.

Going the DHCP route seems a lot of work.

Point? Well, YMMV!

Message 4 of 8
Highlighted
Star

Hello,

My two Netgears (same verson that MFSC has) have been rather solid devices. But when I turned on syslog server (Monitoring: Log: Server Logs) to point Netgear logs to my Synology's Log Center, I noticed more periodic loss of management IP. The switches still work perfectly normal as already noted, but no way to manage it. I wonder if the management IP became self-assigned as suggested.

I have turned off server logs and will continue to monitor (I use Spiceworks) for loss of pings to the management IPs.

PS: I agree with MFSC hat setting up the router/firewall with static DHCP reservations is simpler to manage than going to each device and setting a static IP. Easier to track and change on one device (the router/firewall).

Message 5 of 8
Highlighted
Star

Wrote too soon. Spiceworks is now (30 minutes ago) reporting that both Netgears's management IP are inaccessible. Time to bring out Wireshark and see if they are reverting to some self assigned address.

Message 6 of 8
Highlighted
Star

It's been 18days since I set my management IPs for the netgears to be static instead of DHCP assigned (with a DHCP reservation). So far, no loss of management.

Message 7 of 8
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

@jacher,

Its nice to know that. Smiley Happy  

Since it seems that everything is working fine on your end, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 8