× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: BPDU/STP Errors

OrbiPhilip
Luminary

BPDU/STP Errors

I am experiencing BPDU/SPT errors on from my Orbi. This causes my Netgear GS324 switch to lock out the port administratively.  To recover I must then manually re-enable the port.

The Orbi is connected to the switch on two ports, G1 and G23.  G23 is an unrouted vlan for outside the firewall traffic, G1 is the orbi LAN. One satellite is directly hardwired to the Orbi.

This is what a normal downstream device power failure looks like.
Note:  G15 is a downstream netgear switch.
114768 %% NOTE Spanning Tree Topology Change Initiated: 0, Interface: g15
114767 %% NOTE Spanning Tree Topology Change: 0, Unit: 1
114766 %% NOTE Link Up: g15
114764 %% NOTE Link Down: g15
114762 %% NOTE Spanning Tree Topology Change Received: MSTID: 0 g15

And this is what an Orbi power failure looks like:
Note:  G1 is the downstream Orbi

113987 %% NOTE Link Down: g1
113985 %% INFO Rate limit of 15 for 3 consecutive seconds has been exceeded on port g1  ( Nov 30 05:44:45)
113984 %% WARN Diagnostically disabling interface g1 as rate limit of 15 for 3 consecutive seconds has been exceeded
113983 %% NOTE Spanning Tree Topology Change Received: MSTID: 0 g1
^^ REPEAT 15x ^^
113971 %% NOTE Spanning Tree Topology Change: 0, Unit: 1
113970 %% NOTE Spanning Tree Topology Change Received: MSTID: 0 g1
^^ REPEAT 100x ^^
113866 %% NOTE Spanning Tree Topology Change Initiated: 0, Interface: g1
113865 %% NOTE Spanning Tree Topology Change: 0, Unit: 1 ( Nov 30 05:44:41)

Message 1 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@OrbiPhilip wrote:

I am experiencing BPDU/SPT errors on from my Orbi. This causes my Netgear GS324 switch to lock out the port administratively.  To recover I must then manually re-enable the port.

The Orbi is connected to the switch on two ports, G1 and G23.  G23 is an unrouted vlan for outside the firewall traffic, G1 is the orbi LAN. One satellite is directly hardwired to the Orbi.

Wow. I am confused.  The Netgear GS324 is an "unmanaged" switch, which in my limited experience means it knows nothing about VLANs.

If two of the Orbi LAN ports are connected to the same switch, that seems like a textbook example of a spanning tree problem.

It might help get an informed response if you could provide a rough diagram of how this is all set up.

Message 2 of 9
schumaku
Guru

The OP must talk about the S350 Series GS324T or GS324TP, neither the unmanaged GS324, nor a GS324E model variant.

Best guess, there is some rate limit configured on the port why ever, this isn't the problem here.

In connection with Orbi, there is no other choice than using the (off-standard!) legacy STP and define a prio aka ID of 32768 on switches supporting STP/RSTP/MST. 

What happens is that the Orbi STP - core part of the Orbi design - does override the (undoubted technically better) Gigabit Ethernet backhaul so the switch will close the port to avoid a loop.

Relevant is the information that STP and RSTP is valid for the complete network layout, and isn't restricted to a VLAN like the much more advanced MST (requiring more know-how to configure) and offering RSTP at the edge. Said that - Orbi == STP only.

Edit. Interesting are the logs do talk about MST (MSTID) - is the switch configured to operate with it? What Orbi model and firmware version are we facing here? Is this a set-up which worked before, or was the switch added recently, or was it reconfigured?

Message 3 of 9
OrbiPhilip
Luminary

My apologies, you are correct. the device is a GS324T S350 Series 24-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch

Orbi is 
Hardware Version RBR50
Firmware Version V2.3.5.30 / GUI Language Version V1.0.0.375

It was working previously, with a Cisco SRW2024 switch.  No idea if STP was enabled as the console never functioned properly and I used it as if it was a dumb switch.  The port being disabled begain with the GS324T.

Message 4 of 9
OrbiPhilip
Luminary

STP Config is as follows:

Untitled.png

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Check the IGMP setting on these switches. Been said to disable this helped correct wire connected RBS to these switches between the RSS and RBR. 

Test a non managed switch if you can to compare...

You a little behind on FW. v16 works well with ethernet connected RBS and non managed switches. 

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Use the Choose File button on your post to attached the picture file. Forum mods have to approved embedded pictures. 

Message 7 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Can't see the in-line image yet. For the moment, please try to disable STP.

Message 8 of 9
schumaku
Guru

The other possible approach is completely disabling STP (read also no RSTP or MSP) and enable the "Forward BPDU while STP Disabled"

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements